1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this field extension normal?

1. Nov 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the field extension Q(c):Q, where c is a primitive nth root of unity. Is this extension normal?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe this polynomial splits in x^n - 1,where it's n roots are exactly the powers of c. Thus this extension is normal because Q(c) is a finite splitting field of the polynomial x^n-1 over Q. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Yes. Only that ##x^n-1## is divided by the minimal polynomial of ##\mathbb{Q}(c)##. "splits in ##x^n-1##" doesn't make sense. And you get less than ##n## factors, since ##(x-1)## is one factor (eventually with others) which you don't need.
    You already know, which powers of ##c## are primitive, so you have two ways to write down the minimal polynomial: either by all the factors that give you all the necessary roots in terms of powers of ##c##, or explicitly with the roots in ##\mathbb{C}##. Both ways show you the decomposition. The way using complex numbers has the advantage, that one easily sees, that and which powers of ##c## are involved.

4. Nov 18, 2016 #3
    My bad, I should have said x^n - 1 splits in Q(c). x^n-1 is divided by the minimal polynomial of Q(c)? The minimal polynomial of Q(c) will not b the nth cyclotomic polynomial because n is not primitive, do I need to know more about it's minimal polynomial. But the nth cyclotomic polynomial will be a factor of the minimal polynomial in c because all of it's roots are powers of c.

5. Nov 18, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Well the ##n-##th roots of unity are all complex numbers, because at latest ##x^n-1## splits in ##\mathbb{C}##.
    You know, that they divide the unit circle in equidistant parts. Since ##1^n-1=0\, , \,(x-1)\,|\,(x^n-1)## and our first point is ##1##. The others are therefore ##\exp(\frac{k}{n}\,\cdot\,2\pi\,i)=\exp(\frac{1}{n}\,\cdot\,2\pi\,i)^k=c^k## with ##k=1,\ldots,n-1##. Split. You know from previous posts, that you need a primitive root ##c## as given to get all others as a power of it.

I'm not sure how you define the cyclotomic polynomial. In my books, it is the (irreducible) minimal polynomial (which of course has to divide ##x^n-1##).

We don't say ##n## is primitive or not. A root of ##x^n-1## can be primitive or not: ##\exp(\frac{1}{n}\,\cdot\,2\pi\,i)^1## is, ##\exp(\frac{1}{n}\,\cdot\,2\pi\,i)^0## is not. ##c## is primitive simply means, that you can hop around the circle starting at ##c^0## by steps of ##\cdot c## and hit all other roots before you hit one twice. Like ##(c^0,c^3,c^2,c^1)## hops in steps of ##c^3## and hits all of the ##4-##th roots of unity, whereas ##(c^0,c^2)## in steps of ##c^2## does not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted