Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Figure drawing software for textbooks and ebooks (education)

1. Jun 15, 2015 #1
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a great software for drawing illustrations in physics (Graphs, geometry, box drawings, integral and area 2d Graphs) and perhaps some trigonometry (triangles, Graphs, unit circles with angles/degree). I'm on a windows computer and the purpose is for making textbooks and ebooks?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2015 #2
    There are many, many choices...it depends on the specifics of what you want to do and how much you are willing to invest to achieve it...some programs require a learning curve but some people don't mind the investment...for one-of, you may want to choose some friendly, easy to use, GUI-based program...otherwise, powerful tools exist but most probably require some scripting, programming.

For example, you can produce some very amazing drawing with latex/tikz itslef...browse this page and the various links.

There is also Asymptote, with its own syntax.

4. Jun 25, 2015 #3
    I use Mathematica and I've done a lot of graphics programming. The illustration here is an annular region of the imaginary component of the inverse of a 12-degree polynomial showing three (color-coded) 4-cycle branches. My point is not to show-off but rather to illustrate that if Mathematica can do something as complicated as this, then it can probably do also what you want.
    12 degree inverse P.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook