Figure drawing software for textbooks and ebooks (education)

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a software to create physics illustrations, including graphs, geometry, and trigonometry. The options vary in complexity and price, with some requiring a learning curve and others being user-friendly. Suggestions include latex/tikz, Asymptote, and Mathematica, which has the capability to create complex graphics.
FischerBoy
Hi,
I'm looking for a great software for drawing illustrations in physics (Graphs, geometry, box drawings, integral and area 2d Graphs) and perhaps some trigonometry (triangles, Graphs, unit circles with angles/degree). I'm on a windows computer and the purpose is for making textbooks and ebooks?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many, many choices...it depends on the specifics of what you want to do and how much you are willing to invest to achieve it...some programs require a learning curve but some people don't mind the investment...for one-of, you may want to choose some friendly, easy to use, GUI-based program...otherwise, powerful tools exist but most probably require some scripting, programming.

For example, you can produce some very amazing drawing with latex/tikz itslef...browse this page and the various links.

There is also Asymptote, with its own syntax.

I use Mathematica and I've done a lot of graphics programming. The illustration here is an annular region of the imaginary component of the inverse of a 12-degree polynomial showing three (color-coded) 4-cycle branches. My point is not to show-off but rather to illustrate that if Mathematica can do something as complicated as this, then it can probably do also what you want.
12 degree inverse P.jpg

Last edited:

1. What is figure drawing software for textbooks and ebooks?

Figure drawing software for textbooks and ebooks is a computer program that allows users to create and manipulate visual representations of figures, such as diagrams, illustrations, and graphs, for educational materials like textbooks and ebooks.

2. How does figure drawing software benefit the education industry?

Figure drawing software has numerous benefits for the education industry. It allows for more visually engaging and interactive learning materials, which can improve student understanding and retention. It also saves time and resources for educators and publishers by eliminating the need for hand-drawn figures.

3. What features should I look for in figure drawing software for education?

When choosing figure drawing software for education, look for features such as a user-friendly interface, a wide variety of drawing tools, the ability to import and export images, and compatibility with common file types used in textbooks and ebooks.

4. Is figure drawing software suitable for all levels of education?

Yes, figure drawing software can be used in all levels of education, from elementary school to universities. It can be adjusted to suit the needs and skill levels of students and can be used for a variety of subjects, including science, math, and art.

5. Are there any free figure drawing software options for education?

Yes, there are several free figure drawing software options for education, such as Inkscape, LibreOffice Draw, and GIMP. These programs may have fewer features than paid software, but they can still be effective tools for creating figures in textbooks and ebooks.