Final Frequency and Kinetic energy change?

In summary, Homework Equations ask for the final frequency and kinetic energy difference after an ant falls on a rotating cylinder. The attempted solution for part (a) is to use the rotational equation formulas, but part (b) is harder to solve because the ant has its own weight.
deathkamp

Homework Statement

Hi I know my picture has 2 problems, but let's just focus on the first problem parts a and b.
So for part a it ask for the final frequency after the ant landed, and part b is the kinetic energy difference. Basically the
ant=.01kg, diameter of cylinder is .115m,
the weight of cylinder is .03kg,
and its rotating at 300 rev/min.

Homework Equations

[/B]
deltaK=Kfinal-Kinital
kfinal=.5*i*w where i is the inertia
i=.5*m*r^2
w=w0+at

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a I used the the rotational equation formulas, I am not sire if i picked the correct one though. For part b, its based on part a, basically find the kinital and final with the mass changing from .030g t0 .040 cause the ant has its own weight. Part b I understand its just part a I am don't really know where to start?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 9.53.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 9.53.08 PM.png
    13 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org
The pic is about a bullet hitting a wooden block.
Note: do not do physics by trying to guess the right formula. Instead, try to figure out what physical principle is at work ... i.e. some sort of conservation law.
Guessing you have a rotating cylinder that an ant drops on ... part b is easier.
Part (a) the frequency will be related to the angular velocity, which is related to both angular momentum and kinetic energy. The kinetic energy is also related to angular momentum.

Likes CWatters
Omg sorry I uploaded the wrong picture, its this one. Please disreguard the image in my first post. Also for #1 part a, I need to get the final rev/min after the ant falls on it, so I am thinking, w=2*pi*f. But I have two unknowns because I don't know how to get f? unless w= winitial which is 300 rev/min?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 10.18.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 10.18.49 PM.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
Sorry for double posting but I can't really find Ffinal because I don't see how I can use the initial frequency of 300 to get the final frequency?

Read Simon's post again. Don't start with equations, think about principles. See if you can reply to this without mentioning a single equation :-) If you get that right, then you can think about which equations might be relevant.

So which principle should you apply here?

Likes Simon Bridge

What is final frequency?

Final frequency refers to the frequency of a wave or oscillation after it has undergone a change in its properties or environment.

What is kinetic energy change?

Kinetic energy change is the difference in the amount of kinetic energy of an object or system before and after a change in its motion or velocity.

How are final frequency and kinetic energy change related?

Final frequency and kinetic energy change are related through the energy-frequency relationship in physics. As the frequency of a wave increases, the kinetic energy of the particles creating the wave also increases.

What factors can affect the final frequency and kinetic energy change?

The final frequency and kinetic energy change can be affected by various factors such as the initial frequency, the properties of the medium the wave is traveling through, and external forces acting on the object or system.

What is the formula for calculating final frequency and kinetic energy change?

The formula for calculating final frequency is: final frequency = initial frequency x (velocity of wave in new medium / velocity of wave in initial medium). The formula for calculating kinetic energy change is: change in kinetic energy = 1/2 x mass x (final velocity)^2 - 1/2 x mass x (initial velocity)^2.