Final speed after dragging crate

In summary, a 96 kg crate is pulled across a frictionless floor with a constant horizontal force of 350 N for 15 meters. The final speed of the crate can be found by calculating the acceleration using the equation F=ma and using the correct kinematic equation. The coefficient of friction is then taken into account for the next 15 meters, using the final speed from the first part as the initial speed for the second part.
drewdiddy

Homework Statement

A 96 kg crate, starting from rest, is pulled across a floor with a constant horizontal force of 350 N. For the first 15m the floor is frictionless and for the next 15 m the coefficient of friction is .25. What is the final speed of the crate?

Homework Equations

Change in K = Work
E + Ffr * d = 0
1/2mv^2-1/2mv^2 + F(fr) d

The Attempt at a Solution

I broke this up into two steps. The first 15 m I took the Work done, set it equal to 1/2mv^2 and got the velocity for the beginning of the second reference frame . Somethings not working though because I get the incorrect answer. Am I setting this up incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Umm..I don't think you need to calculate anything for the Work. I don't see the need for the work. Find the acceleration using F=ma and put it into the correct kinematic equations to find the Vf of the first 15 m. Then take into account friction for the second have and use the same kinematic equation with the Vi being the Vf of the first 15 m.

I would approach this problem by first analyzing the forces acting on the crate. The horizontal force of 350 N will accelerate the crate, while the coefficient of friction will act in the opposite direction, causing a deceleration. This means that the crate will experience a net force of 350 N - (96 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * 0.25) = 326.4 N.

Next, I would use the equation F=ma to calculate the acceleration of the crate. a = F/m = 326.4 N / 96 kg = 3.4 m/s^2.

Using the kinematic equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where u is the initial velocity (0 m/s) and s is the distance traveled (15 m), we can solve for the final velocity at the end of the first reference frame: v = √(0^2 + 2 * 3.4 m/s^2 * 15 m) = 7.35 m/s.

For the second reference frame, we can use the same equation with the new distance of 15 m and the same acceleration of 3.4 m/s^2, but with a negative sign to represent the deceleration caused by friction. This gives us a final velocity of v = √(7.35^2 + 2 * (-3.4 m/s^2) * 15 m) = 5.63 m/s.

Therefore, the final speed of the crate is 5.63 m/s after being dragged a total distance of 30 m.

1. What factors affect the final speed of a crate after being dragged?

The final speed of a crate after being dragged is affected by several factors such as the weight of the crate, the force applied to drag the crate, and the surface on which the crate is being dragged. Other factors that can affect the final speed include the friction between the crate and the ground, the angle at which the crate is being dragged, and any obstacles in the path of the crate.

2. How does the weight of the crate impact its final speed after being dragged?

The weight of the crate has a direct impact on its final speed after being dragged. A heavier crate will require more force to be dragged and will result in a slower final speed compared to a lighter crate. This is due to the fact that the force applied to drag the crate must overcome the weight of the crate and any friction between the crate and the ground.

3. Is the final speed of the crate affected by the angle at which it is being dragged?

Yes, the angle at which the crate is being dragged can affect its final speed. If the crate is being dragged at a steeper angle, it will require more force to overcome the weight and friction, resulting in a slower final speed. However, if the crate is being dragged at a shallower angle, it will require less force and can result in a faster final speed.

4. Can the surface on which the crate is being dragged impact its final speed?

Yes, the surface on which the crate is being dragged can have an impact on its final speed. A rough surface will create more friction, making it harder to drag the crate and resulting in a slower final speed. On the other hand, a smooth surface will create less friction and allow for a faster final speed.

5. How can we calculate the final speed of a crate after being dragged?

The final speed of a crate after being dragged can be calculated using the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final speed, u is the initial speed (usually 0), a is the acceleration (determined by the force applied and the weight of the crate), and s is the distance the crate has been dragged. By plugging in the values for these variables, we can calculate the final speed of the crate.