Finally, all the Moon Hoaxers can move on, right?

play dead would be better...
BaNG!

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Dave, tse - there is no such hair to be split. Whether "backup footage" or a hoax from the start, the requirements on the footage and the program and all the hoax risks are functionally identical
Yes.

(In case there was any confusion, I was not agreeing with the hypothesis, I was merely clarifying it.)

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ugh! I just stopped at a store and asked the young girl behind the counter if she knew what happened 40 years ago today.

"Allegedly [air quotes] we landed on the moon", she responded. As you can imagine, I had a few things to say. :biggrin:

This is soooooo sad. I am starting to think the information age is really the disinformation age.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ugh! I just stopped at a store and asked the young girl behind the counter if she knew what happened 40 years ago today.
So you're THAT guy! :rofl:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I always wondered why the government departments that so effectively cover up UFOs...
Here is the real irony in that one: Some of the best sources for reported UFO encounters [whatever that means] are government files describing military encounters. Some of the best reports come from the National Security Agency's files. The UK's Ministry of Defense is another good source.

I believe more in UFOs than that the moon landing may have been a hoax.

I mean, it could have been a hoax, right? You never know. ;D

russ_watters
Mentor
So you're THAT guy! :rofl:
Any responsible adult should be "that guy". When kids are out of line, they need to be put in their place. To not do it is to condone their idiocy. I think Churchill said that...

Anyway, I hope I made my point - I was posting from a blackberry this afternoon. The point is that this hoax (or backup footage idea) fails the "why would they do that" test that has to be asked before you even start to consider the conspiracy theory. At least with a lot of others, there is plausible logic for why it would have been done.

Take the Kennedy assassination. If there was a conspiracy behind it, then that would be something the govt would want to cover up. The downside of a failed coverup is insignificant compared to the harm to the democracy if the the conspiracy is revealed. So the idea has some sound logic behind why it could have been done.

But for Apollo, the coverup would have to have happened before the failure, making for a dual risk of the mission failing and the coverup failing. In addition, even in the event of failure, the downside of the failure really isn't that big - we saw just about the maximum possible downside with the Apollo 1 failure. And that means the upside of a successful coverup isn't that big either.

The "backup footage" idea is even worse than a flat-out hoax of the whole thing: if a camera breaks and you use "backup footage" as a replacement, you don't gain all that much (and again, plenty of cameras failed and we saw the result of the failures), and you stand to lose an awful lot with the black eye and the real fodder for the hoaxster crowd. So these ideas about an Apollo hoax fail the "why would they do that?" test before they even get out of the gate.

Last edited:
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Any responsible adult should be "that guy". When kids are out of line, they need to be put in their place. To not do it is to condone their idiocy. I think Churchill said that...
I don't feel its being responsible to go up to random people asking them random trivia questions (as that is what I was joking about, not the response towards the conspiracy theory stuff)! haha! Hell I didn't even know what happened 40 years ago today. I wasn't even ready to be born for 17 years after it.

As far as teaching people who do actually believe in nonsense when you run into them... I don't bother unless I can answer every question they might be able to think up (considering people seem to be capable of holding on to a single unknown to justify their beliefs). Besides that, people seem to believe in conspiracy theories no matter what people tell them in my experience.

On a side note, it's amazing how people my age, for example, can just belief the moon landing hoaxes and JFK assassination conspiracies without... even being part of that generation! I mean I can't remember being taught that JFK was assassinated by the CIA or mafia or whatever in 2nd grade but it sure feels like I've "known" that since 2nd grade. Oh and no, I don't believe in that now-a-days thankfully!

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I heard a good one tonight.

Of course the moon landing was a hoax. Everyone knows that you can't get to the moon from a flat earth.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I mean, it could have been a hoax, right?
No. And that is not just a matter of opinion.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't feel its being responsible to go up to random people asking them random trivia questions
I was also the guy sitting in the front center seat of the classroom asking the questions. :biggrin: At one point, in a Chem class, I realized that I had completely derailed the lecture, so, feeling a bit conspicuous, I apologized and said that I would stop interrupting. I swear, the entire class objected! "We like your questions" said a voice from the back of the room. :approve:

Wrt to the actual topic here, :biggrin:, I was just curious if someone her age was even aware of the signficance of the day. I didn't expect the conspiracy nonsense to come back at me.

Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the simple fact that it was and still is impossible to "fake" the video feed from the moon on a stage because you would have needed a GIGANTIC vacuum chamber the likes of which has never been seen. The video had to have been filmed in a vacuum with reduced gravity due to many physical phenomenea seen in the video, mainly that the dust kicked up by the astronauts follows a perfect projectile trajectory consistent with a) no atmosphere and b) Lunar gravity.

All claims from conspiracy theorists are definitively debunked by http://www.clavius.org/ for anyone that is curious what the logical scientific arguments against the moon-hoaxers are.

Why didn't they continue to send people to the moon though?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Why didn't they continue to send people to the moon though?
Cost. There was really no reason to go back [no scientific or national security reason that could be cost justified]. Also, even before the Apollo missions had ended, the public had lost interest. Public interest helps to determine where money is spent.

The race to the moon was really a macho contest between the US and the Soviet Union.

It was decided that near-earth missions and a space station would prove to be far more valuable investments than moon missions, in terms of both science and national security.

Last edited:
Pengwuino
Gold Member
No. And that is not just a matter of opinion.
And I think it's one of the few conspiracy theories where the conspiracy isn't just unlikely and quite disagreeable with Ockham's razor, it's actually nearly impossible. I'm sure if you just threw enough money and resources at the problem and probably constructed even more 'engineering wonders of the world' then it took to go to the moon, you could fake it... but I bet it would be easier to actually go to the moon! Funny how, besides the JFK assassination probably, it's probably the most popular conspiracy theory around.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
And I think it's one of the few conspiracy theories where the conspiracy isn't just unlikely and quite disagreeable with Ockham's razor, it's actually nearly impossible.
Also, I think it was mentioned earlier that because it was a race between the US and the USSR - in effect it was seen as a test to prove which system was better - we can all be sure that the Soviets made sure that it was all real ;just as we made sure that all of their claims were true. At the time that the landings occurred, they could see if there was a feed coming from the moon. There is NOTHING that the Soviets would have loved more than the ability to claim the landings were hoaxed.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
And I think it's one of the few conspiracy theories where the conspiracy isn't just unlikely and quite disagreeable with Ockham's razor, it's actually nearly impossible. I'm sure if you just threw enough money and resources at the problem and probably constructed even more 'engineering wonders of the world' then it took to go to the moon, you could fake it... but I bet it would be easier to actually go to the moon! Funny how, besides the JFK assassination probably, it's probably the most popular conspiracy theory around.
That's what they say:

Creating a perfect conspiracy is a vast, monumental undertaking. But that's OK, NASA can do anything (except go to the Moon).

there's a reason they lost the originals

moonwalk.jpg

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It's obviously a hoax - the shadows don't line up

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Yah that photo is fake. Notice the geological formations to the right of the rover. A celestial body with no atmosphere is unable to form with such large variations in height. The expected layering of lunar dust was described in detail by Hobbes, Calvin, et al. (2003) "Lunar geological formations" Phys. Rep. 424: 303–381.

There's also a cat walking around.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
HEY! The ultimate experiment! Bring a cat on the moon and drop it!! I htink that'll prove.... something.

Do it.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
HEY! The ultimate experiment! Bring a cat on the moon and drop it!! I htink that'll prove.... something.

Do it.
I bet it would show that cats don't land on their feet, when dropped in no atmosphere.

Poor kitty.

russ_watters
Mentor
I bet it would show that cats don't land on their feet, when dropped in no atmosphere.
You can do that experiment on earth, you just have to be quick about it, before the cat turns inside-out.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Poor kitty.
I bet it would show that cats landing on their feet has to do with conservation of angular momentum rather than having anything to do with atmosphere. In fact, if you can drop the cat clean enough that it has no chance to react before it's free of your hands, it won't land on its feet. It can't twist half of its body 180 degrees with the other half twisting 180 degrees in the opposite direction if it started with 0 rotation.

It has to start a rotation before it's in free fall, at which time it can speed up or slow down the rotation rate of at least part of its body before it hits the ground. Of course, a slower rate of fall might seriously mess up the cat's timing, causing it to over rotate instead of landing on its feet.

I agree with Pengwino. They ought to try it.

(By the way, cats are suspicious creatures and fast learners. If you don't drop it cleanly on the first attempt, forget about succeeding on further attempts. In fact, by about the third or fourth attempt, you can expect to start receiving some serious wounds from the cat.)

That photo does not prove we didn't go to the moon. The cat could have been a stowaway. What I want to know is, if they can put a cat on the moon, why can't they put all the cats on the moon?