Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finally, all the Moon Hoaxers can move on, right?

1. Jul 17, 2009 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2009 #2

negitron

Science Advisor

Pfft. That's so obviously faked. Besides, that smudge can be anything!

:wink:

4. Jul 17, 2009 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

:rofl: An obvious fake. So is this:

369228main_ap14labeled_540.jpg

Unfortunately, all the Moon hoaxers will not move on. Their responses will undoubtedly be that these images are faked -- and just in time for the 40th anniversary. CNN did an article on this here. They chased down Phil Plait (bad astronomy forum, Discovery.com) who said
    "Will the LRO's incredibly high-resolution images of the lunar surface, including, eventually, the Apollo landing sites, finally quell the lunacy of the Moon Hoax believers? Obviously it won't," writes astronomer Phil Plait in his blog on Discover magazine's Web site. "These true believers don't live in an evidence-based world."​

5. Jul 17, 2009 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Phil is BAD!

6. Jul 17, 2009 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The local news team did a piece on the NASA enhancement, and when it got to the part about what the conspiracy theorists were saying, they both busted out laughing.

7. Jul 17, 2009 #6
    Well I guess just for sake of argument. What is the one most important "fact" that the hoax people have? What is keeping them attached to the belief that we didn't land on the moon?

8. Jul 17, 2009 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Uh, the amount of effort NASA and the government put into hiding it? That's proof they're hiding something. :biggrin:

9. Jul 17, 2009 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Who knows? They have absolutely nothing to stand on. What makes the truthers, the Westboro Baptist Church, flat earthers, or any other bunch of loose screws carry on the way they do? What drives vandals to throw a rock through a window?

My guess is a big part of it is a sick need for attention.

10. Jul 18, 2009 #9
    Pointing to a fuzzy dot! This picture serves nothing, I want high resolution images of the vessel from space.

11. Jul 18, 2009 #10

berkeman

Isn't there a reflective array left behind? Can't you just use a laser pointer or something to prove it to yourself...?

12. Jul 18, 2009 #11
    They don't deny that rocket ships went to the moon, just that astronauts did. In my opinion, they don't even really believe their own nonsense. They just carry an anti-establishment message. Science is the voice of authority, and they can show their defiance by pretending not to believe in the moon landings or in gravity or whatever else.

13. Jul 18, 2009 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well said. I think this is the answer to bucher's question in post 6.

14. Jul 18, 2009 #13
    Yeah. I was thinking that the hoax people had some hard evidence to prove their point. All that I really found out there (on the internet) were misconceptions on camera angles and the astronauts' voices played backwards. Apparently if you play a recording backwards you'll hear messages and there's supposed to be one of Armstrong saying he lied that he went to the moon.

That's really all that I could find so I was just curious if there was anything else that could be debunked or waived off as insane.

15. Jul 18, 2009 #14

Evo

Ahaha, I think that's pretty insane, I hadn't heard that one.

16. Jul 18, 2009 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is not really appropriate for S&D as it does not address potentially unexplained phenomena. Moved to GD.

17. Jul 18, 2009 #16
    These folks don't care much for facts, just like all the people who believe in these whacked out things. Like alchemy and homeopathy.

18. Jul 18, 2009 #17
    They showed the debunking of the hoax theory on NatGeo earlier today... tore it apart pretty handily.

19. Jul 18, 2009 #18

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There will always be moon hoaxers/flat earthers etc. around.

Many people like to think the government is going through so much trouble to hide things from them. It makes them feel important.

20. Jul 18, 2009 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The moon landing was a hoax. If our government can't get a letter to san diego within a couple days, there's no way they could have landed on the moon!

I believe FedEx was actually the first ones to the moon.

21. Jul 18, 2009 #20
    It's obviously a hoax. Every reasonable person knows that the lunar landing was filmed in a studio on Mars.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook