Financial mathematics: find benefits

In summary, the city of "A" wants to measure the benefits of a stadium it built, currently offering free admission to 10,000 monthly visitors. By comparing with a similar city where admission is $5 and receives 2000 monthly visitors, a linear demand curve is assumed to estimate the gross benefit of the stadium in city "A". The method proposed includes drawing a line connecting the two points and finding the area above the price and below the demand curve, representing consumer surplus and producer surplus. However, since there is no supply curve, only consumer surplus can be calculated and considered as the benefits for the stadium.

Homework Statement

City "A" wants to measure benefits of a stadium it built. Currently admission is free and 10 000 people per month visit the stadium.

In a comparable city, a similar stadium charges $5 for admission and receives 2000 visitors per month.

Assume a linear demand curve goes through these two points. Estimate the gross benefit of the stadium in city "A".

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Method:
1) Linear line is drawn with both points, i.e. (0, 10 000) and (5, 2000) on it;
2) Draw a horizontal line from the linear line to the y-axis;
3) Find the area.

But I am not sure if this is the right method. Does anyone have any idea what method could be used? There was nothing else said in the question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) Linear line is drawn with both points, i.e. (0, 10 000) and (5, 2000) on it;
Okay.
2) Draw a horizontal line from the linear line to the y-axis;
Where, how?
3) Find the area.
Area of what?
But I am not sure if this is the right method.
How is gross benefit defined in your course?

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
Where, how?
Area of what?

Без імені.jpg

Area of the triangle of "benefits" shown above.

mfb said:
How is gross benefit defined in your course?

The area above price and below the demand curve. "Consumer surplus" and "producer surplus".
Consumer_Surplus.png

But because there is no supply curve, I assume we can just find consumer surplus and call it benefits.

939 said:
View attachment 67893

Area of the triangle of "benefits" shown above.
Why did you draw it at ($5, 2000)? This point is nothing special.

The area above price and below the demand curve. "Consumer surplus" and "producer surplus".

But because there is no supply curve, I assume we can just find consumer surplus and call it benefits.
Okay, I agree.

Likes 1 person

What is financial mathematics?

Financial mathematics is a branch of applied mathematics that focuses on solving financial problems and modeling financial markets. It involves using mathematical tools and techniques to analyze and make predictions about financial data in order to make informed decisions about investments, risk management, and other financial decisions.

What are the benefits of using financial mathematics?

The benefits of using financial mathematics include being able to make more accurate predictions and decisions about investments, managing risk more effectively, and understanding the complex relationships and patterns in financial markets. It can also help with budgeting, financial planning, and understanding the impact of different financial decisions on long-term goals.

What are some common applications of financial mathematics?

Financial mathematics is used in a wide range of industries, including banking, insurance, investment management, and government. Some common applications include portfolio optimization, option pricing, risk management, and financial forecasting. It is also used in personal finance for retirement planning, budgeting, and debt management.

What skills are necessary for working in financial mathematics?

Proficiency in mathematics, statistics, and computer programming are essential for working in financial mathematics. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of financial markets and instruments, are also important. Additionally, having the ability to communicate complex concepts and findings to non-technical stakeholders is crucial.

What are some resources for learning about financial mathematics?

There are many resources available for learning about financial mathematics, including textbooks, online courses, and professional development programs. Some universities also offer degree programs in financial mathematics. Additionally, networking with professionals in the field and attending conferences and workshops can provide valuable insights and knowledge about the latest advancements and trends in financial mathematics.