1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a basis for polynomials with complex coefficients

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V=Pn(C) (polynomials of nth degree with complex coefficients), where n >=1. Find a basis for W=V s.t. every f(x) belonging to the basis satisfies f(0)f(1)= -1. (Demonstrate that the set you find is linearly independent and spans W.)

2. Relevant equations
    For example, for V=Pn(F) and n>=1:
    S=(x^n, x^n + x^n-1, x^n + x^n-2, x^n + x^n-3,..., x^n +x^2, x^n + x, x^n +1 ) is a basis for Pn(F).

3. The attempt at a solution
    I a bit confused at how f(0)f(1) = -1 is satisfied, because f(0) = 0 for functions without a constant. Does that mean that we have a constant function here?
    e.g. f(x) = -1 so f(0) = -1
    f(x) = x so f(1) = 1
    So f(0)f(1) = -1?
    Or is there something about complex number coefficients that I'm missing?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2008 #2
    Each f in the basis is a different polynomial, but f(0)f(1)=-1 has to hold for the same polynomial; that is, the example you gave is f1(x)=-1, f2(x)=x, f1(0)f2(1)=-1, not both f1 or both f2.

Start with a concrete case. Let n=1. We need two basis vectors. Is there a constant basis vector f(x) such that f(0)f(1)=-1? if there is, then that means f(x)^2=-1(remember, you're are in Complex numbers). Then what is the degree-1 basis vector? Call it ax+b. Then f(0)f(1)=b(a+b)=-1. Pick a friendly non-zero a and see what b has to be.

Is this a good method for n>1? Maybe. However, you have given another basis, can you work with it to ensure that for each basis element f, you have f(0)f(1)=-1?

4. Oct 12, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it simply means that you CANNOT have f(0)= 0 which means the constant term cannot be 0. And, by the way, f(x)= -1 is not in the set because f(0)f(1)= (-1)(-1)= 1 not -1. The constant function f(x)= i is in the set because f(0)f(1)= (i)(i)= -1.
    f(x) = x so f(1) = 1
    So f(0)f(1) = -1?

I have given you one function you can put in the basis, f(x)= i. The set of all polynomials of degree n, with complex coefficients, is a space of dimension n+ 1. One possible basis is {x^n, x^{n-1}, ..., x^2, x, 1} but that does not satisfy the condition that f(0)f(1)= -1.
    To construct a first degree polynomial that satisfies that let p(x)= ax+ b. Then f(0)= b and f(1)= a+ b. Find two numbers, a and b, that satisfy b(a+b)= -1 with a not 0. Of course, there are an infinite number of such functions. You might, for example, choose b to be some convenient number, say 1, and solve for a.
    Now do the same with p(x)= ax^2+ bx+ c, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?