Find a center of circle given a point and radius

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the center of a circle given a point that is tangent to the circle and the radius of the circle. This problem does not have a single solution and the locus of the solution is a circle with center at the given point. It is also mentioned that a point cannot be tangent to a circle, raising confusion about the question.
cg76
Hi all,

How do I find the center of a circle given a point (tangent to the circle) and the radius.

Thanks,
CG

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cg76 said:
Hi all,

How do I find the center of a circle given a point (tangent to the circle) and the radius.

Thanks,
CG

What does that mean? Any point on a tangent or the point of contact of tangent and circle?

This problem does not have a single solution, instead, the solution of where the center of the circle could be is a circle in itself; in other words, the locus of the solution is a circle with center at the point given.

cg76 said:
Hi all,

Thanks,
CG

A point cannot be tangent to a circle, so it's not clear what you are talking about

I can provide you with a mathematical solution to this problem. To find the center of a circle, you can use the formula (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) represents the coordinates of the center and r is the radius. Plugging in the given point and radius, you can solve for h and k to find the center of the circle. Alternatively, you can also use the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance between the given point and the center, and then use this distance to construct a perpendicular line from the point to the center. The intersection of this line and the circle's circumference will give you the coordinates of the center. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How do you find the center of a circle given a point and radius?

To find the center of a circle given a point and radius, you will need to use the formula (x,y) = (a + rcosθ, b + rsinθ). Here, (a,b) represents the coordinates of the given point, r is the radius, and θ is the angle between the x-axis and the line connecting the center and the given point.

2. Can you provide an example of finding the center of a circle given a point and radius?

For example, if the given point is (3,5) and the radius is 4, the center of the circle would be (3 + 4cosθ, 5 + 4sinθ). The value of θ can be determined by drawing the line connecting the given point and the center of the circle and finding the angle with respect to the x-axis.

3. What if the given point is not on the circle?

If the given point is not on the circle, you will still use the same formula to find the center of the circle. However, the resulting center coordinates will not be the actual center of the circle, but rather the center of the circle that has the given point and radius.

4. Is it possible to find the center of a circle with only two points on its circumference?

No, it is not possible to find the center of a circle with only two points on its circumference. You will need at least three non-collinear points on the circle to determine its center.

5. How can finding the center of a circle with a given point and radius be useful?

Finding the center of a circle given a point and radius can be useful in many applications, such as geometry, engineering, and physics. It can help determine the position of an object in space, calculate the distance between two objects, and solve various mathematical problems involving circles.