1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a normal vector to a unit sphere using cartesian coordinates

1. Oct 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a unit sphere centered at the origin. In terms of the Cartesian unit vectors i, j and k, find the unit normal vector on the surface

2. Relevant equations
    A dot B = AB cos(theta)
    A cross B = AB (normal vector) sin(theta)
    Unit sphere radius = 1

3. The attempt at a solution
    Isn't any direction a normal vector?
    i x j = + k
    j x i = - k
    etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Any nonzero vector would be a normal at some point on the surface of the sphere. My guess is that you should take an arbitrary point P(x, y, z) on the surface, and find the normal to it. If that's what is wanted in the problem, it could have been written more clearly.

4. Oct 8, 2015 #3
    Thank you, that would make a bit more sense.

5. Oct 9, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The unit sphere is of the form [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 1[/itex]. You can think of that as a 'Level Surface" of the function [itex]F(x, y, z)= x^2+ y^2+ z^2[/itex] and use the fact that the gradient of such a function, [itex]\nabla F[/itex], is always normal to level surfaces.

6. Oct 9, 2015 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or think about what direction a position vector to a point on the sphere has.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted