Integrate a vector field in spherical coordinates

In summary, the conversation is discussing the integral of a scalar surface element on a sphere of radius R, where the unit vector is expressed in terms of Cartesian basis vectors. This allows for the extra terms with angles inside the integral to be taken outside, simplifying the calculation.
alpine_steer
I have the following integral:

## \oint_{S}^{ } f(\theta,\phi) \hat \phi \; ds ##Where s is a sphere of radius R.so ds = ##R^2 Sin(\theta) d\theta d\phi ##

Where ds is a scalar surface element. If I was working in Cartesian Coordinates I know the unit vector can be pulled out of integral and I can be on my way. But as ##\phi## changes as I move around the surface I am not sure how to account for this. is it a simple as including an additional ##R \; Sin(\theta)## in the integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
alpine_steer said:
If I was working in Cartesian Coordinates I know the unit vector can be pulled out of integral and I can be on my way.
Exactly as you said, that's the way to proceed.
alpine_steer said:
But as ϕ\phi changes as I move around the surface I am not sure how to account for this.
When you express ##\hat{\phi}## in terms of Cartesian unit vectors, each component will be a function of ##\theta## and ##\phi##, that is, the change in ##\phi## is automatically accounted for in the dependence of the components on this coordinate, as it should be.
alpine_steer said:
is it a simple as including an additional RSin(θ)R \; Sin(\theta) in the integral?
What makes you think so?

How about expressing the unit vector in terms of Cartesian basis vectors? Then you will get some extra stuff with angles inside the integral, but you won't have to worry about vectors changing direction inside the integral, because ## \textbf{i}##, ##\textbf{j}##, and ##\textbf{k}## can then be taken outside the integral.

I think I posted at near the same time as blue_leaf77, and it's the same idea.

Geofleur said:
How about expressing the unit vector in terms of Cartesian basis vectors? Then you will get some extra stuff with angles inside the integral, but you won't have to worry about vectors changing direction inside the integral, because ## \textbf{i}##, ##\textbf{j}##, and ##\textbf{k}## can then be taken outside the integral.

I think I posted at near the same time as blue_leaf77, and it's the same idea.

This is what I thought.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for integrating a vector field in spherical coordinates?

The formula for integrating a vector field in spherical coordinates is: ∫θθφφrr F(r, θ, φ) r2 sin θ dr dθ dφ, where F is the vector field and r, θ, and φ are the spherical coordinates.

2. Why is it necessary to use spherical coordinates when integrating a vector field?

Spherical coordinates are necessary because they allow us to represent points in three-dimensional space using a distance, an angle from the z-axis, and an angle from the x-axis. This is particularly useful when integrating vector fields that have spherical symmetry, as it simplifies the calculation and allows us to take advantage of the symmetries in the problem.

3. How do you convert a vector field from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates?

To convert a vector field from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ), you can use the following formulas:
r = √(x2 + y2 + z2)
θ = arccos(z/r)
φ = arctan(y/x)

4. Can you provide an example of integrating a vector field in spherical coordinates?

Sure, let's say we have a vector field F(x, y, z) = xi + yj + zk and we want to integrate it over the region bounded by the sphere x2 + y2 + z2 = 1.
Using the conversion formulas from question 3, we can rewrite the vector field in spherical coordinates as F(r, θ, φ) = r sin θ cos φ i + r sin θ sin φ j + r cos θ k.
Then, using the integration formula from question 1, we can integrate over the region as follows: ∫00π01 (r sin θ cos φ i + r sin θ sin φ j + r cos θ k) r2 sin θ dr dθ dφ
This will give us the value of the integral over the given region.

5. Are there any special considerations to keep in mind when integrating a vector field in spherical coordinates?

Yes, there are a few things to keep in mind when integrating a vector field in spherical coordinates. First, make sure to use the correct conversion formulas from Cartesian to spherical coordinates. Second, pay attention to the bounds of integration, as they may differ from those in Cartesian coordinates. Finally, be aware of any symmetries in the problem that can simplify the integration process.