Find a number that is algebraic with degree 3 over Z_3

  • Thread starter Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Degree
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ehrenfest
Messages
2,001
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


I want to find a number that is algebraic with degree 3 over Z_3. To do this, I need to find an extension field of Z_3. Q,R, and Z_p (p greater than 3) definitely will not work because they have different algebra. Anyone?

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:

Homework Statement


I want to find a number that is algebraic with degree 3 over Z_3. To do this, I need to find an extension field of Z_3. Q,R, and Z_p (p greater than 3) definitely will not work because they have different algebra. Anyone?
How about the algebraic closure of Z_3? Or is that too nonconstructuve?

Well, at least we know that no matter what extension field E you use and number [itex]\alpha[/itex] you select, there has to be a map [itex]\pi : (\mathbb{Z} / 3\mathbb{Z})[t] \to E[/itex] with [itex]\pi(t) = \alpha[/itex].
 
Last edited: