Find (∂a/∂θ) given 3 equations

• Thread starter MeMoses
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to find (∂a/∂x) if the equations x = r*sin(a)*cos(θ), y = r*sin(a)*sin(θ), z =r*cos(a) are given, with phi replaced by a for ease of typing. The suggested approach is to use the chain rule, but this leads to too many unknowns and no simplification. However, since the equations are just a conversion from spherical to rectangular coordinates, phi and theta are independent variables and (∂ϕ/∂θ) = 0. Therefore, the problem reduces to finding (∂a/∂x).
MeMoses

Homework Statement

Find (∂a/∂x) if
x = r*sin(a)*cos(θ),
y = r*sin(a)*sin(θ),
z =r*cos(a).
The equations originally have phi in place of a, but I switched it to a for ease of typing.

Homework Equations

Chain rule?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly sure where to start. I tried using the chain rule and differentiating with respect to x but then I just end up with too many unknown and nothing really simplifies. How exactly does one go about solving this problem? Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MeMoses said:

Homework Statement

Find (∂a/∂θ) if
x = r*sin(a)*cos(θ),
y = r*sin(a)*sin(θ),
z =r*cos(a).
The equations originally have phi in place of a, but I switched it to a for ease of typing.

Homework Equations

Chain rule?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly sure where to start. I tried using the chain rule and differentiating with respect to x but then I just end up with too many unknown and nothing really simplifies. How exactly does one go about solving this problem? Thanks ahead of time for any help.
Unless I'm missing something here, ∂[itex]\phi[/itex]/∂θ = 0, which is the case whenever you have partials involving two independent variables.
The equations you gave above are just the equations to convert from spherical coordinates to rectangular (or Cartesian) coordinates (but r should be replaced by ρ). In spherical coordinates, [itex]\phi[/itex] and θ have no connection, so neither is a function of the other, making them independent variables.

crap I meant Find (∂ϕ/∂x) which should make more sense and explains why I tried differentiating with respect to x. Now that that's clear where exactly do I start?

What does (∂a/∂θ) represent?

(∂a/∂θ) represents the partial derivative of a with respect to θ. This means it is the rate of change of a with respect to θ, while holding all other variables constant.

Why is it important to find (∂a/∂θ)?

Finding (∂a/∂θ) allows us to understand how a changes as θ changes. This is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, where understanding the relationship between variables is crucial.

What are the steps to find (∂a/∂θ) given 3 equations?

The steps to find (∂a/∂θ) vary depending on the specific equations, but generally involve using the chain rule and algebraic manipulation to isolate (∂a/∂θ) on one side of the equation. It may also require using the given equations to eliminate other variables.

Can (∂a/∂θ) have a negative value?

Yes, (∂a/∂θ) can have a negative value. This would indicate that a decreases as θ increases, or vice versa. It is important to consider the sign of (∂a/∂θ) when interpreting its meaning in relation to the given equations.

What are some real-world applications of finding (∂a/∂θ)?

Finding (∂a/∂θ) is useful in fields such as economics, where it can help analyze the relationship between variables like supply and demand. It is also used in weather forecasting to understand how different factors, such as temperature and pressure, affect each other. Additionally, it is used in engineering to optimize designs and in physics to analyze the motion of objects.