Find Acceleration of a sliding object

• Thread starter dhymas
  • Start date
URGENT!! Find Acceleration of a sliding object

Homework Statement

A 42 kg block of ice slides down a 30 degree plane. Assuming friction is negligible, what is the acceleration of the block down the incline

Homework Equations

F=ma
W=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn the right free body diagram. I adjusted the x and y axis so that the x axis lines up with the incline. I am just stuck as to how to approach this problem. Im assuming I will be using F=ma and solving for a. I'm just confused because I don't really know how to find F. I have found the x and y components of the W (weight) of the free body with the 30 degree.

Answers and Replies

what do you think will be the component of force along the incline?

We have just been taught about force of friction. I know that the incline is very important in determining acceleration

Weight will also be another force that will be important

The problem with Force of Friction is that the problem states that it is a frictionless surface

here there is no friction as its an ice block

use weight to find the the force on block along the incline

show us the free body diagram.

Weight will also be another force that will be important

Let's say two objects are dropped at the same time. One weighs 1kg and the other weighs 100kg and wind resistance isn't a factor. Which one hits the ground first? My point is: weight doesn't change how fast something accelerates towards the ground (unless friction is involved)

you will only need to use weight to find the normal force when you're drawing the FBD. Since there is no friction, you don't need to multiply the normal force by the coefficient of friction.

to solve this, you'll need to use trig to figure out what a 9.8 m/s^2 downward acceleration would be when the object doesn't go straight down but rather down a 30 degree slope