1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find all points where f(x) has a horiztonal tangent line

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1
    1. Given.

F(x) = 4x/(x^2+1)

2. Problem

Find all points (x,y) where the function has a horiztonal tangent line

3. Attempt

I took the derivative of F(x) and came to

(-4x^2+4)/(x^2+1)^2

I set it equal to zero and found an x value of 1. I used that x value and plugged it into the original function, so f(1), and got a Y value of 2, but according to my professor this was not correct. However I asked him this after the test. It was a test question and on the test I stated at no point does the function have a horizontal tangent line.

I figured I was wrong because after the test I redid the problem and came to (1,2). Although as stated, my professor said (1,2) was incorrect. I haven't got my test back, so maybe there was no solution and I did the problem correctly originally, but I think there is a solution.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are two points where the function has a horizontal tangent. You've got one. Can you find the other one?

4. Mar 20, 2013 #3
    Hmm I think I forgot to consider the +/- on the square root. So the other point would be (1,-2)?

5. Mar 20, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's what you forgot. And I'm assuming you meant (-1,-2) and that's just a typo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted