1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find all time t at which the particle is accelerating in a direction

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle travels along a path C in R^3 which velocity v(t) =<t^2, cos(pi*t), t> at time t. Assume that the particle's initial position is at the point p=(1, 0, -1). Find all times t at which the particle is accelerating in a direction that is perpendicular to the plane 4x+2z= squareroot(squareroot(squareroot(2))).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have calculated that the point f(t) = (1/3*t^3, sin(pi*t)/pi +1, .5t^2 -1) at time t, that the acceleration a(t) = <2t,-pi*sin(pi*t), 1> for time t, and that the normal of the plane is n=<4,0,2> and so the direction vector of the particle should be equal to <4,0,2> but i don't know what to do after that?

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need f(t). What you do need is for a(t) to be parallel to n. That means that a(t) and n are multiples of each other. For one thing the ratio of the x and z components of each vector must be the same. What does that tell you about t?

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    Okay, so then that would mean that t would have to be any real number that satisfies any multiple of <4,0,2> .. which would only be when t is 1, since we have a constant 1 in the acceleration formula. Am i on the right track?

Thanks so much!:)

5. Sep 28, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. Then you also need to check that at t=1, that the y component of a(t) is zero.

6. Sep 28, 2009 #5
    Ah! Okay, i understand! :) yay! thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook