1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find an appropriate matrix according to specific conditions

1. Nov 23, 2016 #1
    I am facing some difficulties solving one of the questions we had in our previous exam. I am sorry for the bad translation , I hope this is clear.

In each section, find all approppriate matrices 2x2 (if exists) , which implementing the given conditions:

• 396Ar.png is an eigenvector of A with eigenvalue of 10 , and izSFL.png is an eigenvector of A with eigenvalue of 20

• 396Ar.png is an eigenvector of A with eigenvalue of 10 , and EXISTS eigenvector of A with eigenvalue of 20
    If there are no matrices matched , explain why.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to build equations for the first section but I have no idea how to keep from there :

SL6DX.png

Can you please assist ?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

What is the relation between ##(1, 3)^T## and ##(2, 6)^T##?

4. Nov 23, 2016 #3
    I am not sure if I understood your question but the vectors seem to be linearly dependent

5. Nov 23, 2016 #4

DrClaude

Exactly. So what happens when you apply ##A## to those vectors?

6. Nov 23, 2016 #5
    If I put those equations from step 3 (above) in a matrix , I will have 2 rows filled with 0's and Rank A < Rank(A|b) => No solution?
    I would apprciate if you could explain it better than I do ,becasue I really want to understand what I am doing and how it should be solved.

7. Nov 23, 2016 #6

DrClaude

Keep it simpler. You have a vector ##v## such that
    $$
    A v = 10 v
    $$
    Take a second vector ##u = 2 v##. What is ##Au##?

8. Nov 23, 2016 #7
    Ok so, u=2v

{ Av = 10v
    { Au = 20u

{ Av = 10v
    { A(2v) = 20(2v)

{ Av = 10v
    { 2(Av) = 40v

{ Av = 10v
    { Av = 20v

I think I missed the point , I can see what you are trying to do but still can't figure it out

9. Nov 23, 2016 #8

DrClaude

Isn't this a contradiction?

10. Nov 23, 2016 #9
    It is ! :)
    It means there are no appropriate matrices.
    Thank you so much for your time and your assitance!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted