1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find an equation of the plane that passes through the...

1. Sep 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find an equation of the plane that passes through the line of intersection of the two planes 3x + 7y + 2z= 0 and -9x - 8y - 6z = 9, and is perpendicular to the plane -2x - 6y + 3z = -10.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is what I did:

I first took the two normal vectors (n1 and n2) of the first two planes mentioned.

n1 = (3, 7, 2)
    n2 = (-9, -8, -6)

I then took the cross product of these two vectors:

n1 × n2 = (-26, 0, 39) We can call this vector V.

I then found the normal vector of the plane that is mentioned in the end of the problem (which I will denote as n3)

n3 = (-2, -6, 3)

Next I took the cross product between V and n3.

V × n3 = (234, 0, 156)

so then my normal vector for the plane that will be my solution is:

nfinal = (234, 0, 156)

I then found a point on the line of intersection in the plane by first setting z=0 and then solving a system of equations for x and y. Here is the system:

3x + 7y = 0
    -9x - 8y = 9

solving for x and y yields:

x = -189/117 , y= 9/13 (and of course z = 0)

Now that I have my point and my direction vector, I can find the equation of the plane. I got:

(234, 0, 156) ⋅ ( x + 189/117 , y - 9/13 , z) = 0

which expands to:

(234x +378) + (0 - 0) + 156z = 0

which simplifies to

234x + 378 + 156z =0

or simply

234x + 156z = -378

That was the final answer that I plugged into the software for the equation of the desired plane. There were two answers that the problem wanted: They wanted the normal vector of the desired plane and the equation of the desired plane.

When I plugged in my normal vector of (234, 0, 156) and my equation 234x + 156z = -378, the software said that I got the normal vector right, but got the equation wrong.

Why?! I don't know what I did wrong here. Furthermore, I worked another example of this type of problem that simply had different numbers and equations with a friend earlier, and I got it right using the exact same process I used here! I've also looked up other examples of this online and every other example used the exact same process!

Can someone please help me with this (because I am really ticked off and don't know what is wrong)?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't understand why you are taking normal vectors to the first two planes, so I don't understand your approach.

Here's what I'd do:

1. Find the equation for the line L of intersection of the first two planes.

2. Identify two points P and Q on that line, eg by setting each of the two parameters to zero in turn.

3. Find the normal vector for the 3rd plane.

4. Add that normal vector to P to get a 3rd point R that is not on the line L. That plane must be in the target plane, since L is and the target plane is parallel to the normal vector.

5. Find the equation of the plane containing P, Q and R.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted