1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find an equation to the tangent line to a curve and parrallel

1. Jun 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find an equation of the tangent line to the curve y = x√x that is parallel to the line
    y = 1+3x.

2. Relevant equations

m = 3

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is my attempt: dy/dx(x) * dy/dx(x^(1/2)) = (1) * (1/2x^(-1/2)) = (1/2x^(-1/2))

(1/2x^(-1/2)) = 3 → x^(-1/2) = 6 → -√x = 6

x = -√36 = 6 → -6=6 -1=1

Thank you, I will not be able to respond for a bit as im leaving for home now.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Two comments. First, why on earth would you not simplify ##x\sqrt x## to ##x^\frac 3 2## before you differentiate? And given that you didn't, the product rule for differentiation is not ##(fg)' = f'g'##, which is what you did. Try again.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  4. Jun 15, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

To add to what LCKurtz said about your oversimplification of the product rule, what you wrote does not mean what you think.
    You don't take "dy/dx of x" or "dy/dx of x^(1/2)." You can take the derivative with respect to x of something, which you write as d/dx(x) + d/dx(x^(1/2)).

The expression dy/dx(x) means dy/dx times x, which I'm pretty sure isn't what you intended.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook