Find an equilibrium solution of heat equation Please help

In summary: However, you do not state this explicitly in your problem, so I am going to have to give you a rule of thumb to follow. Whenever you are given a function that has a limit at ±∞, one of the constants in the limit must be zero.
yaya10
Hello

I need help with this heat equation

I need to find steady state solution please help me

I ve tried but I could not get it.

Homework Statement

http://www.alm5zn.com/upfiles/m0w00932.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I ve got C= Cx/2 +ax+b

but i could not apply the boundry conditions?

any help would be apprecited

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations are simple enough that you could just post them here instead of making everyone open a gif on imageshack.

Anyway, there are two obvious things wrong with what you did:

1. What happened to the D and k that should be in your steady state equation?
2. C is the independent variable and you are treating it like it is a constant. It depends on x even in the steady state so its antiderivative isn't Cx.

So correct your steady-state equation and solve it as a second order constant coefficient equation.

A "steady state" solution is one that does NOT depend on t. That means that the partial derivative with respect to t is 0 and the partial derivative with respect to x can be treated like an ordinary derivative:
[tex]d\frac{d^2C}{dx^2}- kC= 0[/tex]
That's a "linear second order differential equation with constant coefficients", probably the simplest kind of differential equation. Do you know how to solve such equations? What is the "characteristic equation"?

hello LCKurtz,

sorry about the image but I thould it would be much describable this way.

thank for your help

=-

HallsofIvy

thanks for being here

I ve got this

first I divide them by D to get K/C then I called them a=K/c

characteristic equation:

(m^2)-a=0

m^2=a---->>> m=-sqrt(a), sqrt(a)

--->C(x)= c1*exp(-sqrt(a)), and c2*exp(sqrt(a))

=-=-=-

[tex](m^2)-a=0, m^2=a \mapsto m=-\sqrt{a},\sqrt{a} --->C(x)= c1*exp(\sqrt{a})+ c2*exp(-\sqrt{a}).[/tex]

Last edited:
yaya10 said:
[tex](m^2)-a=0, m^2=a \mapsto m=-\sqrt{a},\sqrt{a} --->C(x)= c1*exp(\sqrt{a})+ c2*exp(-\sqrt{a}).[/tex]

Your characteristic equation comes from assuming solutions of form exp(mx), so your equilibrium solution needs to look like:

[tex]C(x)= c_1\exp(\sqrt{a}x)+ c_2\exp(-\sqrt{a}x).[/tex]

But now consider the boundary conditions (which really dominate the equilibrium solution for this problem anyway).

thanx for your help

Now I substitue the boundry conditions I got

C(infinty,t)= c1exp(infinity)+c2 exp(infinty)=0

-->> c1+c2=0-->>>>> c1=-c2

is that true ?!

I am sorry for bothering you guys

i need to learn

thanks again

yaya10 said:
thanx for your help

Now I substitue the boundry conditions I got

C(infinty,t)= c1exp(infinity)+c2 exp(infinty)=0

That isn't how you write limits. Think about this. If you have a function of the form

f(x) = Cekx+De-kx what happens to each term as x → ∞? That should determine one of the constants. And you also have x → -∞ to think about.

the lim when x → ∞ = ∞

so from the equation you gave

D wil be zero and C is infinity so we have got D=0

and then

when → - ∞ = 0

we have got

C will approach zero and D is infinity.

So C=D+0

I hope this is correct.

Limits are hard for me so I reall hope I have got it right.

Thank you

LCKurtz said:
That isn't how you write limits. Think about this. If you have a function of the form

f(x) = Cekx+De-kx what happens to each term as x → ∞? That should determine one of the constants. And you also have x → -∞ to think about.

yaya10 said:
the lim when x → ∞ = ∞

so from the equation you gave

D wil be zero and C is infinity so we have got D=0

and then

when → - ∞ = 0

we have got

C will approach zero and D is infinity.

So C=D+0

I hope this is correct.

Limits are hard for me so I reall hope I have got it right.

Thank you

The point is that you are given in your problem that as x → ±∞ the limit is zero. So you should be able to argue that the only way that could happen is if both C and D are zero.

1. What is an equilibrium solution in the context of heat equation?

An equilibrium solution in the context of heat equation is a solution that remains constant over time, meaning the temperature at any point in space does not change. This is achieved when the rate of heat input is equal to the rate of heat output, resulting in a stable temperature distribution.

2. How is an equilibrium solution of heat equation found?

An equilibrium solution of heat equation can be found by solving the heat equation, which is a partial differential equation that describes how heat is transferred in a given system. This involves using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or the Fourier series to find a solution that satisfies the boundary conditions.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium solution of heat equation?

The equilibrium solution of heat equation is affected by various factors such as the initial temperature distribution, the physical properties of the material (e.g. thermal conductivity), and the boundary conditions (e.g. the temperature at the boundaries). These factors determine how heat is transferred and distributed within the system.

4. Can there be multiple equilibrium solutions for the same heat equation?

Yes, there can be multiple equilibrium solutions for the same heat equation. This can occur when there are different combinations of boundary conditions and initial conditions that result in a stable temperature distribution. Additionally, some systems may have multiple stable equilibrium solutions due to the presence of multiple stable states.

5. How is the stability of an equilibrium solution determined in the heat equation?

The stability of an equilibrium solution in the heat equation can be determined by analyzing the behavior of small perturbations (changes) in the initial conditions or boundary conditions. A stable equilibrium solution will remain unchanged even with small perturbations, while an unstable equilibrium solution will result in large changes over time.