Find angle of the sphere losing contact with the surface

In summary: But you calculated 54 from vertical, no?Then I'm out of ideas. Even a sliding point particle should stay on until about 48 degrees.
Adriano25

Homework Statement

A solid sphere rolls down a hemisphere from rest. Find the angle at which the sphere loses contact with the surface.
R = radius of hemisphere
a = radius of sphere

Homework Equations

ΣFr = Macm,r
N-mgcosθ = -mVcm2/(R+a)
N = mgcosθ - mvcm2/(R+a) eq. (1)

Conservation in mechanical energy
mg(R+a) = 1/2mvcm2 + 1/2Icmω2 + mg(R+a)cosθ
mg(R+a) = 1/2mvcm2 + 1/2(2/5ma2)(Vcm/a)2 + mg(R+a)cosθ
mg(R+a) = 7/10mVcm2 + mg(R+a)cosθ
Simplified
7/10mVcm2 + mg(R+a)(1-cosθ)
Vcm2 = 10g/7 (R+a)(1-cosθ) eq. (2)

eq. (2) into eq. (1)
N = mgcosθ - m10g(R+a)/(R+a) (1-cosθ)
N= 17mgcos/7 - 10mg/7
N goes to 0 since the sphere loses contact with the surface, thus:
0 = 17cosθ-10
θ = cos-1(10/17)
θ = 54°

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt solution has been trying to prove this problem experimentally. By rolling a solid sphere on a hemisphere, the angle I found was much smaller than 54°. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Adriano25 said:

Homework Statement

A solid sphere rolls down a hemisphere from rest. Find the angle at which the sphere loses contact with the surface.
R = radius of hemisphere
a = radius of sphere

I found some notes on this problem and that looks like the right answer. Although, that is for a small ball where ##a << R##.

I can't follow your working, but you must have made that approximation somewhere.

PS I think it's the same answer for any ##a##.

Also, as rolling without slipping requires a minimum amount of friction to accelerate, the sphere is bound to slip before it comes off. In practice, therefore, it will start to slip and gain higher speed earlier, so come off earlier.

Last edited:
Likes conscience
Thus, the sphere would start slipping right before it comes off? I can't seem to notice that. Also, would it be possible to do a calculation to find a better and more approximate angle?

Adriano25 said:
Thus, the sphere would start slipping right before it comes off? I can't seem to notice that. Also, would it be possible to do a calculation to find a better and more approximate angle?
You could redo the calculation assuming no friction, so no rotation. That at least would give you a range for the angle.
In between, you would have to work in terms of forces and torques rather than energy.

What angles are you observing? How are you measuring them?

I'm observing an angle approximately half of the angle I measured per my calculations. I'm just measuring it by observation. I'm still very confused in why the experiment is not working as desired and how I could get a better approximation.

Adriano25 said:
I'm observing an angle approximately half of the angle I measured per my calculations. I'm just measuring it by observation. I'm still very confused in why the experiment is not working as desired and how I could get a better approximation.
So you are seeing it become airborne when only about a third of the way around the arc?

haruspex said:
So you are seeing it become airborne when only about a third of the way around the arc?
Yes. I was expecting it to come off at around 45 degrees.

Adriano25 said:
Yes. I was expecting it to come off at around 45 degrees.
But you calculated 54 from vertical, no?
What are you using for the hemisphere? How accurately shaped?

Yes, from the vertical. I'm using a big Earth sphere pretty accurate.

Adriano25 said:
Yes, from the vertical. I'm using a big Earth sphere pretty accurate.
Then I'm out of ideas. Even a sliding point particle should stay on until about 48 degrees.

1. How do you find the angle at which a sphere loses contact with the surface it is rolling on?

The angle at which a sphere loses contact with the surface it is rolling on can be found by using the equation θ = tan-1(μ), where θ is the angle and μ is the coefficient of friction between the sphere and the surface. This equation assumes that the sphere is rolling without slipping.

2. What factors affect the angle at which a sphere loses contact with a surface?

The angle at which a sphere loses contact with a surface is affected by several factors, including the coefficient of friction between the sphere and the surface, the shape and size of the sphere, and the speed at which the sphere is rolling. Other factors such as the surface material and any external forces acting on the sphere may also play a role.

3. Can the angle at which a sphere loses contact with a surface be calculated for all surfaces?

No, the angle at which a sphere loses contact with a surface cannot be calculated for all surfaces. This equation only applies to surfaces where the sphere is rolling without slipping. For surfaces where slipping may occur, a more complex equation would be needed to calculate the angle of loss of contact.

4. How is the angle at which a sphere loses contact with a surface relevant in real-life situations?

The angle at which a sphere loses contact with a surface is relevant in situations where objects are rolling or sliding on a surface, such as in sports (e.g. bowling, golf), transportation (e.g. car tires on roads), and industrial applications (e.g. conveyor belts). Understanding this angle can help engineers and designers determine the optimal materials and conditions for smooth and efficient movement.

5. Are there any practical applications of knowing the angle at which a sphere loses contact with a surface?

Yes, there are several practical applications of knowing the angle at which a sphere loses contact with a surface. For example, in sports, this angle can help athletes understand how different surfaces may affect the movement of their equipment. In engineering, this angle can be used to design more efficient conveyor belts or other moving systems. Additionally, knowing this angle can also help prevent accidents or damage caused by objects slipping or losing contact with a surface.