Find angles between two rope and the ceiling

• Thread starter seanster1324
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles Rope
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving trigonometric identities, vector properties, and resolving tension into vertical and horizontal components. The main issue is finding a way to separate each vector into its components without given angles. A possible solution is to use simultaneous equations or the Law of Cosines to find the angles.
seanster1324
***Excuse the pluralization error in the title***

Homework Statement

I attached a picture below...

Homework Equations

sin^2(theta)+cos^2(theta)=1

a^2+b^2=c^2

Vector properties

Trig identities

The Attempt at a Solution

I am familiar with trig identities and vector properties, but I can't get anywhere with this. I tried using the 697N weight as the y-component vector for either side, but that didn't work.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Attachments

• 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
seanster1324 said:
***Excuse the pluralization error in the title***

Homework Statement

I attached a picture below...

Homework Equations

sin^2(theta)+cos^2(theta)=1

a^2+b^2=c^2

Vector properties

Trig identities

I am familiar with trig identities and vector properties, but I can't get anywhere with this. I tried using the 697N weight as the y-component vector for either side, but that didn't work.

resolve each tension into vertical and horizontal components.
The horizontal components have to balance each other,
The vertical components together support the mass.

I understand that part. The part I don't understand is how to separate each vector into its components. I only have the magnitude with no given angles. Looking at the hint, I need to play around with some trig. But I can't see how to incorporate the identity it hints at.

And I can't use 697N as the shared vertical component, right? Because that would make this much easier, but it did not work for me.

Last edited:
seanster1324 said:
I understand that part. The part I don't understand is how to separate each vector into its components. I only have the magnitude with no given angles. Looking at the hint, I need to play around with some trig. But I can't see how to incorporate the identity it hints at.

And I can't use 697N as the shared vertical component, right? Because that would make this much easier, but it did not work for me.

You have two unknowns, theta 1 and theta 2

Vertical considerations will give one equation involving them

Horizontal considerations will give a second equation connecting them

Two equations in two unknowns should mean a simultaneous equations solution is possible.

EDIT: you could also use the cosine rule to find the angles.

Last edited:
Ah, I see what you mean. Thank you so much!

seanster1324 said:
Ah, I see what you mean. Thank you so much!

Note my edit about the cosine rule.

Witch cosine rule? The Law of Cosines?

seanster1324 said:
Witch cosine rule? The Law of Cosines?

yes: a2 = b2 + c2 - 2bc.cos(A)

1. How do I measure the angle between two ropes and the ceiling?

To measure the angle between two ropes and the ceiling, you will need a protractor. Place the center of the protractor at the point where the ropes meet and align one side of the protractor with one rope and the other side with the other rope. The degree measurement where the third side of the protractor intersects the protractor is the angle between the two ropes and the ceiling.

2. What is the purpose of finding the angle between two ropes and the ceiling?

The purpose of finding the angle between two ropes and the ceiling is to determine the stability and strength of the ropes and their connection to the ceiling. This information can be useful in various applications such as rock climbing, construction, and engineering.

3. Can I use a smartphone app to find the angle between two ropes and the ceiling?

Yes, there are many smartphone apps available that can measure angles using the phone's built-in sensors. However, for accurate and precise measurements, it is recommended to use a physical protractor.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the angle measurement between two ropes and the ceiling?

The accuracy of the angle measurement between two ropes and the ceiling can be affected by various factors such as the type and quality of the protractor used, the alignment of the protractor with the ropes, and the skill of the person taking the measurement. Environmental factors such as wind or movement of the ropes can also affect the accuracy of the measurement.

5. How can I use the angle measurement between two ropes and the ceiling in my research or project?

The angle measurement between two ropes and the ceiling can be used in various research or project applications, such as determining the strength of the ropes and their connection to the ceiling, analyzing the forces acting on the ropes, or designing structures that involve rope and ceiling support. It can also be used as a reference point for future measurements or adjustments.