Find coefficient on power series

In summary, the question is asking for the coefficient of x^100 in the power series form of (1+x+x^2)/((1-x^3)^2). The first approach attempts to solve it by expanding the series using the known formula for 1/(1-x^3). However, this approach leads to incorrect calculations. The second approach uses the formula 1+x+x^2=(1-x^3)/(1-x) and leads to 34 possible pairs for (a0,a1). Ultimately, both approaches are incorrect and the correct answer is 34.
jjangub
(Moderator's note: thread moved from "General Math")

Hi.
I am confused with this question. I tried two different ways to solve it, but I got different answers for each way. The question is
"Determine the coefficient of x^100 in the pwer series form of (1+x+x^2)/((1-x^3)^2)"
First, I tried this way,
since we know 1/(1-x^3)=(1+x^3+x^6+x^9+...), so the form becomes
(1+x+x^2)*(1+x^3+x^6+x^9+...)^2
let a0,a1 be the power of x from each series,then a0+a1=100.
from the first part we know that a0=0 or 1 or 2.
When a0=0, a1^2=a1+a1=100
when a0=1, a1^2=a1+a1=99
when a0=2, a1^2=a1+a1=98
and we know that a1 is multiple of 3, let a1=3n, then 6n=100.
Since we do not have n value, the coefficient of x^100 is 0.
Second I tried this way,
since we know 1+x+x^2=(1-x^3)/(1-x), if we apply this to our form, (1-x^3) from top and bottom is gone, therefore we have (1/(1-x))*(1/(1-x^3)).
since we know, 1/(1-x)=1+x+x^2+x^3+...
and 1/(1-x^3)=1+x^3+x^6+x^9+...
therefore we now have (1+x+x^2+x^3+...)*(1+x^3+x^6+x^9+...)
let a0 and a1 be the power of x from each series, then a0+a1=100.
Since a1 is the multiple of 3, it can be written as 3a1, then a0+3a1=100.
We have (a0,a1) as (1,33),(10,30),(19,27),(28,24)...(100,0) there are 12 sets
and each has coefficient of 1,
therefore the coefficient is 12.
I got two different answers. I don't know what is the problem...
Please tell me whether I am right or wrong...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Both calculations are incorrect!
For the first approach when a0=1, the following a1 pairs are allowed (0,99), (3,96),...(96,3), (99,0). 34 pairs.
For the second set, you need the following (a0,a1) pairs (1,99), (4,96),...(97,3), (100,0). 34 pairs.

Last edited:

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0∞ an(x-a)n, where a is a constant and an is a sequence of coefficients. It is used to represent a function as a sum of infinitely many polynomial terms.

2. How do you find the coefficient on a power series?

To find the coefficient on a power series, you can use the formula an = f(n)(a)/n!, where f(x) is the function represented by the power series and f(n)(a) is the nth derivative of f(x) evaluated at x = a. Alternatively, you can use the method of substitution to solve for the coefficients.

3. What is the significance of finding the coefficient on a power series?

The coefficient on a power series represents the contribution of each term in the series to the overall function. It can provide insight into the behavior and properties of the function, such as its rate of convergence, radius of convergence, and behavior near the center of the series.

4. Can you find the coefficient on a power series for any function?

Yes, the power series representation of a function exists for any analytic function, meaning it can be expressed as a power series. However, not all power series have a finite number of terms and may require advanced techniques to find the coefficients.

5. How is finding the coefficient on a power series useful in real-world applications?

Finding the coefficient on a power series can be useful in various scientific and mathematical fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows for approximating and predicting the behavior of complex systems and functions, making it a valuable tool in problem-solving and modeling.