Find displacement from a record of travel

In summary, the problem involves a record of travel along a straight path with three sections: (a) starting from rest with a constant acceleration of 3.95 m/s^2 for 16.5 s, (b) maintaining a constant velocity of 65.175 m/s for 0.789 min, and (c) experiencing a constant negative acceleration of -10.4 m/s^2 for 3.52 s. The question asks for the total displacement x for the complete trip. While attempting the solution, a displacement of 537.694 m was found for part (a), 3085.38 m for part (b), and -36.608 m for part (c). However, this answer
tacobeans1234

Homework Statement

A record of travel along a straight path is as
follows:
(a) Start from rest with constant acceleration of 3.95 m/s
for 16.5 s;
(b) Constant velocity of 65.175 m/s for the
next 0.789 min;
(c) Constant negative acceleration of
−10.4 m/s
for 3.52 s.
What was the total displacement x for the
complete trip?
Answer in units of m

Homework Equations

I had my physics teacher help me along. I know that you need to find and add all of the displacements, but I still can't seem to get the right answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't remember exactly what I did, but I got these numbers for the displacement for each section of the problem.
a)537.694
b)3085.38
c)-36.608

Physics news on Phys.org
Part (c) looks off. What did you do to get that answer? BTW, negative acceleration of -10.4m/s2 is a double negative.

tacobeans1234 said:

Homework Statement

A record of travel along a straight path is as
follows:
(a) Start from rest with constant acceleration of 3.95 m/s
for 16.5 s;
(b) Constant velocity of 65.175 m/s for the
next 0.789 min;
(c) Constant negative acceleration of
−10.4 m/s
for 3.52 s.
What was the total displacement x for the
complete trip?
Answer in units of m

Homework Equations

I had my physics teacher help me along. I know that you need to find and add all of the displacements, but I still can't seem to get the right answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't remember exactly what I did, but I got these numbers for the displacement for each section of the problem.
a)537.694
b)3085.38
c)-36.608

Yes part (c) wrong. This body doesn't even stop by that time.

With an initial velocity of 65, and an acceleration of -10, it will have merely slowed to 30 m/s. Use the real numbers to get the real answer.

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is a measure of the change in position of an object, typically measured in distance and direction. It is the shortest distance between the starting and ending points of an object's motion.

2. How do I find displacement from a record of travel?

To find displacement from a record of travel, you need to know the starting point and ending point of the object's motion. Then, you can use the distance formula (d = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2)) to calculate the straight-line distance between the two points.

3. What if the object's motion is not in a straight line?

If the object's motion is not in a straight line, you can still use the distance formula to calculate displacement. However, you will need to break the motion into smaller segments and calculate the distance for each segment. Then, you can add all of the distances together to find the total displacement.

4. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. This means that the object has moved in the opposite direction from its starting point. For example, if an object moves 5 meters to the left, its displacement would be -5 meters.

5. Is displacement the same as distance traveled?

No, displacement and distance traveled are not the same. Distance traveled is the total length of the path taken by an object, while displacement is the straight-line distance between the starting and ending points. Displacement can be equal to or less than the distance traveled, but it can never be greater.