Find electric field strength between disks

In summary: Just be consistent with whichever method you choose.In summary, two 2.0cm diameter disks with opposite charges of -10nC and 10nC are placed 1.0mm apart. The field strength between the disks is 3.6 * 10^6 N/C, and the launch speed needed for a proton to just barely reach the positive disk is 8.5 * 10^5 m/s. It is important to remember to use the correct units and retain the powers of ten in calculations to ensure accuracy.
johnnyboy53

Homework Statement

Two 2.0cm diameter disks face each other, 1.0mm apart. They are charged to -10nC and
10nC.

-What is the field strength between the disks?

-A proton is shot from the negative disk toward the positive disk. What launch speed must the proton have to just barely reach the positive disk?

Homework Equations

Q = (10*10^-9)
ε0=(8.85*10^-12)
radius = .1 m
A = area of circle = πr^2
E = E(+) + E(-) = Q/ε0A

vf^2 = vi^2 +2Ax

The Attempt at a Solution

(10*10^-9)/(8.85^10^-12)(π)(.1^2) = 35.5 but the book gives it as (3.6 * 10^6) N/C

b: vf^2 = vi^2 + 2AX
vi= sqrt( vf^2+2(3.6*10^6)(.001))
= 84.85
book has it as 8.5 * 10^5

I think i am supposed to convert the distances meters or I need to do some type of conversion to get from the original answer to N/C units. I get the right answer but the precision is off. What could i be missing? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
johnnyboy53 said:

Homework Statement

Two 2.0cm diameter disks face each other, 1.0mm apart. They are charged to -10nC and
10nC.

-What is the field strength between the disks?

-A proton is shot from the negative disk toward the positive disk. What launch speed must the proton have to just barely reach the positive disk?

Homework Equations

Q = (10*10^-9)
ε0=(8.85*10^-12)
radius = .1 m
A = area of circle = πr^2
E = E(+) + E(-) = Q/ε0A

vf^2 = vi^2 +2Ax

The Attempt at a Solution

(10*10^-9)/(8.85^10^-12)(π)(.1^2) = 35.5 but the book gives it as (3.6 * 10^6) N/C
Check the value you've used for the radius; looks like a conversion error. The result lacks units and the powers of ten.
b: vf^2 = vi^2 + 2AX
vi= sqrt( vf^2+2(3.6*10^6)(.001))
= 84.85
book has it as 8.5 * 10^5
The formula is incomplete; You've used the field strength in place of the acceleration which would not yield the correct units for the results. Determine the acceleration A that the proton will experience and then plug that into your formula.

Once again you've dropped the powers of ten and the units, making the result incorrect regardless of the numerical value.

Last edited:
oh 1 cm = .01m. what do you mean by dropping powers of 10?

Instead of writing .01m, do i keep it as (1 * 10^-2)?

I would use energy conservation to determine vi. BTW vf = 0.

johnnyboy53 said:
oh 1 cm = .01m.
Yup.
what do you mean by dropping powers of 10?
The field won't be as large as 35.5 N/C. There will be a power of ten multiplying it, which you've dropped.
Instead of writing .01m, do i keep it as (1 * 10^-2)?
Either way is fine so long as you retain the order of magnitude in the calculations.

What is the formula for finding the electric field strength between two disks?

The formula for finding the electric field strength between two disks is: E = σ/2ε0, where σ is the surface charge density and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

How do the distance between the disks affect the electric field strength?

The distance between the disks is directly proportional to the electric field strength. This means that as the distance between the disks increases, the electric field strength decreases, and vice versa.

Is the electric field strength between two disks affected by the size of the disks?

Yes, the size of the disks does affect the electric field strength between them. The larger the disks, the stronger the electric field between them, assuming all other variables remain constant.

Can the electric field strength between two disks be negative?

Yes, the electric field strength between two disks can be negative. This usually occurs when the surface charge density on one disk is greater than the other, causing the electric field to point in the opposite direction.

How does the presence of other charges or objects nearby affect the electric field between two disks?

The presence of other charges or objects nearby can affect the electric field between two disks. These external charges can either add to or subtract from the electric field between the disks, depending on their magnitude and placement.