1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find electric Field through 3 plates using Gausses Law

1. Feb 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The figure shows three very thin parallel planes of charge with equal separation 8 cm between them. The charge density of the middle plane is +4 nC/m2 (nC = "nano Coulomb") and that of the two outer planes is -2nC/m2. Use Gauss's law to solve the following questions. We choose positive electric field along the y-direction.
    What is the Electric Field at point C?

2. Relevant equations
    E=ρD/ε Electric Field at position D

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried to Calculate the E at distance between The top Positive ρ and the point C and from the bottom ρ to point C. Should these two be equal?
    From top:
    (4e-9c/m^2 * 0.004m) / ε to give me field to point C

From bottom:
    (2e-9c/m^2 * 0.004m) / ε to give field to point C

I know the field results in a - I've tried to add them to get the answer and subtract.
    What am I to do from this point?
    Am I using the wrong equation?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The question asks you to use Gauss' law to find the answer. Since you want the field at point C, you should try to construct a Gaussian surface that goes through C. Choose the shape of the Gaussian surface so that you can take advantage of any symmetry in the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook