Find EMF - Loop inside a loop generating a magnetic field

In summary: ...the magnetic field is ultimately an extenction of the lorenz force (which is a cross product) any point that lies in the plane of the area will have a magnetic field that is normal to the area, which means that it is parallel to the normal vector of the area, which means cos(theta)=1.
ichivictus

Homework Statement

A loop of wire with an area 1cm^2 is centered within a larger loop of area 1m^2. Apower supply is generating current through the larger loop described by the function:

I(t) = 40A * cos(2t/s * 2pi/5)

Calculate EMF at time t = 3s

Homework Equations

Magnetic flux = BAcos(theta)
EMF = d/dt Magnetic Flux = d/dt BAcos(theta)
B = ui/2r = (u/2r) 40A * cos 2t/s * 2pi/5)
u = permeability of free space = 4pi * 10^-7

r = sqrt(area of circle/pi)

The Attempt at a Solution

Some of the work done above, I set the equation of B into the emf then took the derivative with respect to time.

EMF = 57 d/dt uA/2r cos(3t - 2pi/5)^2
EMF = 57*3* uA/2r cos(6t- 2pi/5)

I confused myself over which A I was referring to and which radius as well. Thinking about this it makes sense that A is the smaller loop's area and r is the bigger loop's radius.

Does this look correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No comment? I'm also now questioning if my theta in the magnetic flux is the same theta in the function given...

Hmm... well ##emf = \frac{d\phi}{dt}##, and ##\phi = \vec{B}\cdot \vec{A}## which means you need the magnetic field function within the smaller loop. There's a function for that that involves current and constants. You almost have the function. You're missing a pi in the denominator (I'm pretty sure anyway).

also:
r = sqrt(area of circle/pi)
This makes me think you're misunderstanding the physical interpretation of this function.
Say I have a current carrying wire, and I want to calculate the magnetic field at SOME POINT, I just plug the current through the loop in, find the distance, plug that in for r, and presto, I have my B field.

You want the flux, which doesn't consist of 1 point. What you calculated was the flux through dA, where this particular dA is a distance r from a wire. You need to sum up an infinitely many amount of these dA's.

What you have is pretty close, but what's your 'r' in your equation?

And to answer your second question, no it's not. The "theta" given (I think you mean t?) doesn't really represent an angle (unless you want to get into a 4d coordinate system), whereas the cos(theta) from your dot product is the measureable angle between the magnetic field vector and the normal vector from your area.

One more comment about the thetas, since the magnetic field is ultimately an extenction of the lorenz force (which is a cross product) any point that lies in the plane of the area will have a magnetic field that is normal to the area, which means that it is parallel to the normal vector of the area, which means cos(theta)=1
(it seems as though you got that yourself, as it just kinda dropped out of your equation, but I wanted to be sure)

Also, upon thinking about it, I think there's a few assumptions you have to make in order to solve this problem. One of which is the geometry of the area, another is the orientation of the areas. I think it's safe to assume that they lie in the same plane (as I assumed in post #4). I'm not so sure about the geometry, is this all the information that was given?

Oh alright so I(3) = what I want for I in the equation of the magnetic field and from what you're saying I think I have the right B equation. This was my resource (shows how pi drops out).

http://faculty.wwu.edu/vawter/physicsnet/topics/MagneticField/MFLoops.html

Would r in B = ui/2r be the distance from the large hoop to the small hoop? In other words, radius of large hoop minus radius of small hoop?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Also, upon thinking about it, I think there's a few assumptions you have to make in order to solve this problem. One of which is the geometry of the area, another is the orientation of the areas. I think it's safe to assume that they lie in the same plane (as I assumed in post #4). I'm not so sure about the geometry, is this all the information that was given?

There was also a picture...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so they're circles, that makes it a little easier. As for the pi, I thought you were canceling the pi in the denominator with the pi in mu naught.

Also, read post #3 again. I don't think you're going to get out of integrating your function to get the flux (as for r).

What is I(3) compared to I(t)? Ultimately, you want dphi/dt or ##\frac{dB \cdot A}{dt}## If you use I(3) in that equation, what will you get? If you use I(t) what will you get? (I'm not asking for an answer, just describe what you'll get with words)

Notice, that the flux is still a function of r. You need to not have that. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/curloo.html

Look at the second section, and pay close attention to the title there. That's the equation that you're using, but it explains where it comes from and what you get out of it. Maybe that will shed some light on this situation, as I'm not really sure how I can go much further without telling you step by step how to solve the problem.

I might go away for awhile, I have a funny feeling we're about to get really busy at work. I'll check back when I get a chance.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
If you use I(3) in that equation, what will you get? If you use I(t) what will you get?

If I use i(3) then I'd receive the amount of current at the time t=3. If I use just the equation, I'd probably end up having to take the derivative with respect to time. Is that correct?

I'm not really aware of any magnetic field equations that would fit this problem without an R term... but I think I understand your point. That equation I was using was B due to a current element in the center. I'm looking for B from the large loop onto the smaller loop.

Exactly. You don't want I(3), you want I'(3) (as I is the only function in your equation that is dependent on time).

Also, you need the biot-svart law to the best of my knowledge. When you use that equation, the mu naught I/2R, you're getting the magnetic field at the CENTRAL POINT of the loop, you don't want just that. You want the sum of the magnetic fields through all points contained within the smaller loop. In order to do that, what do you need?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Exactly. You don't want I(3), you want I'(3) (as I is the only function in your equation that is dependent on time).

Also, you need the biot-svart law to the best of my knowledge. When you use that equation, the mu naught I/2R, you're getting the magnetic field at the CENTRAL POINT of the loop, you don't want just that. You want the sum of the magnetic fields through all points contained within the smaller loop. In order to do that, what do you need?

In order to do that, I'll need an integral containing the entire area of the loop. This just got way more complicated than I thought it would be. How am I supposed to apply this integration in this problem?

http://www.math.oregonstate.edu/hom...CalculusQuestStudyGuides/vcalc/flux/flux.html

Try here.
aaand
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biot–Savart_law
here

By definition ##\phi = \int \int F \cdot n dS## where F is the vector field, here the B field, n is the normal dS is the differential surface area.

So first off, you need a function for the field w.r.t. distance from the current loop. Once you have that, then you need to integrate that function to sum up all the "field lines" running through the small loop.

What is EMF and how is it related to magnetic fields?

EMF stands for electromagnetic force, also known as electromotive force. It is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points, which can be generated by a changing magnetic field. In other words, a magnetic field can induce an EMF, and vice versa.

How does a loop inside a loop generate a magnetic field?

When an electrical current flows through a loop of wire, it creates a magnetic field around the loop. This is known as a solenoid. When a second loop is placed inside the first, the magnetic field from the first loop induces a current in the second loop, creating a magnetic field around the second loop as well. This is known as mutual inductance.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field generated by a loop inside a loop?

The strength of the magnetic field generated by a loop inside a loop is affected by several factors, including the number of loops, the size and shape of the loops, the electrical current flowing through the loops, and the distance between the loops.

Can a loop inside a loop be used to generate a specific type of magnetic field?

Yes, by changing the number of loops, the size and shape of the loops, and the electrical current flowing through the loops, a specific type of magnetic field can be generated. For example, a solenoid with a larger number of loops will have a stronger magnetic field, while a solenoid with a smaller number of loops will have a weaker magnetic field.

What are some practical applications of a loop inside a loop generating a magnetic field?

A loop inside a loop generating a magnetic field has many practical applications, including in electromagnets used in motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in wireless charging technology, magnetic levitation trains, and medical devices such as MRI machines.