Find equation for thermodynamic process

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation for a thermodynamic process with a specific heat of the gas given by C=(R/(γ-1))+αP. The participants determine that C is not specific heat capacity at constant pressure or volume, but the specific heat capacity of the process. They also consider the first law of thermodynamics and calculate the work done in the process. Ultimately, they come to the conclusion that ΔQ=nCΔT is applicable in every process.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the thermodynamic process in which specific heat of the gas is given by

[itex]C=\dfrac{R}{\gamma -1} + \alpha P [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can write

[itex]C=C_v + \alpha P [/itex]

But I don't know how to proceed ahead. What does C mean here? Is it specific heat capacity at constant pressure or volume? Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the thermodynamic process in which specific heat of the gas is given by

[itex]C=\dfrac{R}{\gamma -1} + \alpha P [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can write

But I don't know how to proceed ahead. What does C mean here? Is it specific heat capacity at constant pressure or volume? Any help is appreciated.
Is α supposed to be the coefficient of volumetric thermal expansion? Because, if it is, it's units are wrong.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Is α supposed to be the coefficient of volumetric thermal expansion? Because, if it is, it's units are wrong.

Chet

No. It's a positive constant.

Hi utkarshakash

utkarshakash said:
I can write

Correct...

utkarshakash said:

C is the specific heat capacity of the process .It is neither of the two (i.e at constant pressure or volume ) .It is not that the heat capacity has to be either CP or CV .

Apply the first law of thermodynamics .

Tanya Sharma said:
Hi utkarshakash

Correct...

C is the specific heat capacity of the process .It is neither of the two (i.e at constant pressure or volume ) .It is not that the heat capacity has to be either CP or CV .

Apply the first law of thermodynamics .

I get
[itex]m(C_v + \alpha P) dT = nC_vdT + \int P dV [/itex]

where m=mass of gas
How do I calculate the work done in the process?

utkarshakash said:
[itex]m(C_v + \alpha P) dT = nC_vdT + \int P dV [/itex]

where m=mass of gas

I think it should be

nCdT = nCVdT + pdV

Write Cv in terms of C and take n =1 for sake of simplicity.

Tanya Sharma said:
I think it should be

nCdT = nCVdT + pdV

Write Cv in terms of C and take n =1 for sake of simplicity.

But ΔQ=nCΔT is valid only when C=Cp. In general ΔQ=mCΔT

utkarshakash said:
But ΔQ=nCΔT is valid only when C=Cp. In general ΔQ=mCΔT

:rolleyes:

ΔQ=nCΔT is applicable in every process.

Likes 1 person
Tanya Sharma said:
:rolleyes:

ΔQ=nCΔT is applicable in every process.

Thanks. I got the correct answer.

1. What is a thermodynamic process?

A thermodynamic process is a sequence of events or changes in a system that involves the transfer of heat and/or work. It is used to describe the behavior and properties of a system as it undergoes a change in temperature, pressure, volume, or other thermodynamic variables.

2. What is the importance of finding an equation for a thermodynamic process?

Finding an equation for a thermodynamic process is important because it allows us to quantitatively describe the behavior of a system and predict its properties at different stages of the process. This information is crucial for understanding and optimizing various industrial and natural processes, such as power generation, refrigeration, and atmospheric phenomena.

3. How do you find an equation for a thermodynamic process?

The equation for a thermodynamic process can be found by analyzing the properties of the system at different stages of the process and applying the laws of thermodynamics, such as the first and second laws. This involves measuring or calculating variables such as temperature, pressure, and volume, and using mathematical relationships to determine the equation that best represents the behavior of the system.

4. What are some common types of thermodynamic processes?

Some common types of thermodynamic processes include isothermal, adiabatic, isobaric, and isochoric processes. In an isothermal process, the temperature of the system remains constant. In an adiabatic process, there is no transfer of heat between the system and its surroundings. In an isobaric process, the pressure remains constant. In an isochoric process, the volume remains constant.

5. How are thermodynamic processes applied in real-world situations?

Thermodynamic processes are applied in a wide range of real-world situations, such as power plants, refrigeration systems, and engines. For example, in a power plant, a thermodynamic process is used to convert heat energy into mechanical work, which is then used to generate electricity. In a refrigerator, a thermodynamic process is used to remove heat from the interior of the fridge, keeping the contents cool. In an engine, a thermodynamic process is used to convert the heat from burning fuel into mechanical work, which propels the vehicle.