1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find equation of path of a point mass under influence of 2 central forces

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    A point mass ‘A’ is kept at the origin. Another B is kept at the x axis at x = H. Another C is kept at distance H from origin and distance h from B. A, B and C thus form an isosceles triangle with vertex A. Given that A's mass >> B's mass >> C's mass; Newton’s gravitational law governs the bodies. C will have motion because of both A and B while B will have motion because of A only.
    The equation of path of C in any coordinate system given that B and C have zero initial velocities.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi taureau20! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:
  4. Sep 27, 2008 #3
    tell me within what tags must I enclose the LATEX code so I can post mathematuical expressions here. I can't do that here. Plz help w.r.t. that.

anyway, you may click here; in this site, the LATEX coding has worked so I have posted my attempt at solving this problem.

You can take it from there!

5. Sep 27, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi taureau20! :smile:

sorry, but I can't follow your equations (3) and (4) :confused:

is theta measured from B or from C?

why is there no ka in (3)?

Can you check it, and type it out again, here … for LaTeX in this forum, just type [noparse][tex] before and [/tex] after.[/noparse] :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?