Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find equation of path of a point mass under influence of 2 central forces

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    A point mass ‘A’ is kept at the origin. Another B is kept at the x axis at x = H. Another C is kept at distance H from origin and distance h from B. A, B and C thus form an isosceles triangle with vertex A. Given that A's mass >> B's mass >> C's mass; Newton’s gravitational law governs the bodies. C will have motion because of both A and B while B will have motion because of A only.
    Find:
    The equation of path of C in any coordinate system given that B and C have zero initial velocities.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi taureau20! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

4. Sep 27, 2008 #3
    tell me within what tags must I enclose the LATEX code so I can post mathematuical expressions here. I can't do that here. Plz help w.r.t. that.

anyway, you may click http://www.physicshelpforum.com/phy...urce-one-stationary-one-moving.html#post1534"; in this site, the LATEX coding has worked so I have posted my attempt at solving this problem.

You can take it from there!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  5. Sep 27, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi taureau20! :smile:

sorry, but I can't follow your equations (3) and (4) :confused:

is theta measured from B or from C?

why is there no ka in (3)?

Can you check it, and type it out again, here … for LaTeX in this forum, just type [noparse][tex] before and [/tex] after.[/noparse] :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook