Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find equilibrium bond potential, given energy as a function of atomic separation

1. May 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given that the total cohesive energy, U, in an ionic crystal as a function of nearest neighbor distance, R, between two ions +e and -e is given by:

[itex]U(R) = \frac{A}{R^n} - \frac{\alpha e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon R}[/itex]

show that at equilibrium:

[itex] U(R) = \frac{\alpha e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon R}(1 - \frac{1}{n})[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

differentiate U with respect to R and set to zero to find the equilibrium bond length and substitute it into the origonal formula. I think this is the right way to do it but i keep getting the wrong answer, here is my best attempt:

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]U(R) = \frac{A}{R^n} - \frac{\alpha e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon R}[/itex]

differentiate w.r.t. R and equate to 0:

[itex]\frac{dU}{dR} = 0 = -\frac{n A}{R^{n+1}} + \frac{\alpha e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon R^2}[/itex]

now rearrange to get:

[itex]\frac{n A}{R^{n+1}} = \frac{\alpha e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon R^2}[/itex]

Multiply through by R and divide through by n:

[itex]\frac{A}{R^n} = \frac{\alpha e^2}{4 n \pi \epsilon R}[/itex]

Notice that the term [itex]\frac{A}{R^n}[/itex] appears in the original formula, so substitute to get:

[itex] U(R) = \frac{\alpha e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon R}(\frac{1}{n} - 1)[/itex]

the 1/n and 1 are the wrong way round, i have a feeling its a problem with my substitution but i cant see it, anyone have any ideas?

//Edit: I have put in the correct latex code so you can see my calculations ;)

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We cannot read your equations. Please try to use LateX.

4. May 17, 2010 #3
    ah, ok sorry about that ill try edit it

5. May 18, 2010 #4
    Nevermind, I just found out that this question was a misprint making it impossible. Thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook