1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find expression for electric field from magnetic field

1. Nov 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a region of space, the magnetic field depends on the co-ordinate ##z## and is given by $$\mathbf{B} = \hat{\jmath} B_0 \cos \left(kz - \omega t \right)$$ where ##k## is the wave number, ##\omega## is the angular frequency, and ##B_0## is a constant.
    The Electric Field in Cartesian coordinates is ##\mathbf{E} = \hat{\imath} E_x + \hat{\jmath} E_y + \hat{k} E_z##. Given that ##E_y = E_z = 0## and ##E_z = \omega B_0/k## at ##z = t = 0##, determine an expression for ##E_x##.

2. Relevant equations

##\nabla \times \mathbf{E} = -\frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the cross product rule, I changed ##\nabla \times \mathbf{E} = -\frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t}## to ##-\frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t} \times \nabla = \mathbf{E}##. Calculated ## -\frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t} = -\hat{\jmath} B_0\omega\sin(kz - \omega t)##. Then working out the cross product I got ##\mathbf{E} = \hat{\imath} \frac{\partial}{\partial z}[-B_0\omega\sin(kz - \omega t)] = -\hat{\imath} B_0 k \omega \cos(k z - \omega t)##. So inputting ##z = t = 0## clearly gives ##B_0 \omega k## instead of ## \omega B_0 / k##.

I cannot see where in my method I have gone wrong and I am not sure this method is correct?
    Thank you so much

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2015 #2
    Why do you say that [tex]E_{z}=0[/tex] and then [tex]E_{z}=(\omega B_{0})/k[/tex]. You can't say that the z component of electric field is zero and non zero at the same time... clear that confusion then I'll solve your problem.

4. Nov 30, 2015 #3
    Apologies it was a typo, I meant "##E_y = E_z = 0## and ##E_x = (\omega B_0)/k##"

5. Nov 30, 2015 #4
    Oh.. then you just have to use this;

[tex]\vec{\nabla}\times \vec{B}=\mu_{0}\vec{J}+\mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t}[/tex]

Since you dont have any currents, so first term on the right hand side is zero, so you are left with;

[tex]\vec{\nabla}\times \vec{B}=\mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t}[/tex]

which is easy to solve.

6. Nov 30, 2015 #5
    Thank you very much!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted