1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find expression for event exactly one of A,B,C occurs

1. Aug 8, 2012 #1
    Find expression for event "exactly one of A,B,C occurs"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex]A,B,C \in F[/itex] be three arbitrary events. F is a σ-algebra. Find an expression for the event "exactly one of A,B,C occurs".

3. The attempt at a solution

Define [itex]i,j,k[/itex] s.t. [itex]i,j,k \in \{1,2,3\} \wedge i \not= j \not=k[/itex]. Also, define [itex]M_1 := A, M_2 := B, M_3 := C[/itex].

Then the event in question is [itex]M_i \backslash (M_j \cup M_k) \forall i[/itex].

-------------

Is this correct? I've never seen this "notation" used in my lecture slides so I'm not sure (I'm trying to get out of writing a silly amount of unions and then simplifying).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Find expression for event "exactly one of A,B,C occurs"

Yes, [itex] A\text{ only} = A \cap (B \cup C)^c,[/itex] etc, where [itex] D^c[/itex] denotes the complement of a set D. As to the probability that exactly one occurs, see Feller, "Introduction to Probability Theory and its Applications", Vol I, (Wiley), which gives expressions for P{exactly k events occur} for k = 0, 1, 2, ... among n events. You can also find similar developments in the various Probability books by Sheldon Ross.

RGV

4. Aug 8, 2012 #3

Thanks, I'll borrow that book from my uni's library.

So what I've done is correct?

5. Aug 8, 2012 #4

Actually I believe that I've made a mistake in my OP.

The correct notation for the event would be [itex]\bigcup_{i=1}^3 M_i \backslash (M_j \cup M_k)[/itex] for [itex]i \not= j \not= k[/itex] and [itex]j,k \in \{1,2,3\}[/itex].

Still would like confirmation that this is correct :).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  6. Aug 8, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is obviously true.

RGV

7. Aug 8, 2012 #6

Thanks for your help. Just wasn't sure of the notation :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook