Fourier series of (t+4)/(t²+8t+25)²

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
dengulakungen
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
1.
Find the Fourier series of :
$$g(t)=\frac{t+4}{(t^2+8t+25)^2}$$

2. I have been trying to write the function to match the formula $$\mathcal{F} [\frac{1}{1+t^2}] = \pi e^{-\mid(\omega)\mid}$$


3.
I have simplified the function to
$$(t+4)(\frac{1}{9}(\frac{1}{1+\frac{(t+4)^2}{9}})^2)$$
Cant really see where to go from here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I may be misleading you here but if you complete the square and then do a variable substitution you get what I would say is an easier problem.
 
dengulakungen said:
1.
Find the Fourier series of :
$$g(t)=\frac{t+4}{(t^2+8t+25)^2}$$

2. I have been trying to write the function to match the formula $$\mathcal{F} [\frac{1}{1+t^2}] = \pi e^{-\mid(\omega)\mid}$$3.
I have simplified the function to
$$(t+4)(\frac{1}{9}(\frac{1}{1+\frac{(t+4)^2}{9}})^2)$$
Cant really see where to go from here.

You can write the Fourier transform as ##{\cal F}(g) (w) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-i w t} g(t) \, dt##, then apply integration by parts: ##\int u \, dv = uv - \int v \, du##, with ##u = e^{-iwt}## and ##dv = g(t) \, dt##. By a change-of-variables, the integral ##\int g\, dt## is do-able, and afterwards you will be left with a form in which your previous FT formula can now be used.

BTW: you are NOT doing Fourier series, you are doing the Fourier transform. These two concepts are very different and should never be mixed up.