Find fourth order differential equation

In summary, the problem was trying to solve for c1, c2, c3, c4, c5 given the unknown constants e^(3x)cosx, e^(3x)xcosx, e^(3x)sinx, and e^(3x)xsinx.
kk1995

Homework Statement

Suppose that a fourth order differential equation has a solution y=-9e^(3x)xcos(x).

a. Find such differential equation, assuming that it is homogeneous and has constant coefficients.

b. Find the general solution to this differential equation. x is the independent variable.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the derivatives of y (y',y'',y''',y'''').
Then, I placed unknown constants (c1, c2, c3, c4, c5) on each order and made a matrix with each row having coefficients from values containing e^(3x)cosx, e^(3x)xcosx, e^(3x)sinx, and e^(3x)xsinx. I made the columns all have the same order (such as all values from y'' on one column). I also made c1=1 since otherwise the matrix becomes 4*5 and that cannot be solved for the unknown constants. However, this did not work out.

I would sincerely appreciate your help. I mean, I can do those functions that have y=e^rx and y=cos(x), but combination of these makes my head ache.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried writing cos (x) in terms of complex exponentials?

Think about what the solution whose DE had this characteristic equation$$
(r-a)^2+b^2=0$$would be.

kk1995 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that a fourth order differential equation has a solution y=-9e^(3x)xcos(x).

a. Find such differential equation, assuming that it is homogeneous and has constant coefficients.

b. Find the general solution to this differential equation. x is the independent variable.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the derivatives of y (y',y'',y''',y'''').
Then, I placed unknown constants (c1, c2, c3, c4, c5) on each order and made a matrix with each row having coefficients from values containing e^(3x)cosx, e^(3x)xcosx, e^(3x)sinx, and e^(3x)xsinx.
Great! Or course, in order to have [itex]e^{3x}cos(x)[/itex] and [itex]e^{3x}sin(x)[/itex] as solutions, the characteristic equation must have roots 3+ i and 3- i and so must have (x- 3- i) and (x- 3+ i) as factors. In order to have each of those times x as solutions, those must be double roots so the characteristic equation must be of the form [itex](x- 3- i)^2(x- 3+ i)^2= [(x- 3- i)(x- 3+ i)]^2=[/itex][itex] [(x- 3)^2+ 1]^2= (x^2- 6x+ 10)^2= x^4- 12x^3+ 56x^2- 12x+ 100[/itex].

You can get the differential equation itself from that.

I made the columns all have the same order (such as all values from y'' on one column). I also made c1=1 since otherwise the matrix becomes 4*5 and that cannot be solved for the unknown constants. However, this did not work out.

I would sincerely appreciate your help. I mean, I can do those functions that have y=e^rx and y=cos(x), but combination of these makes my head ache.
"columns"? "matrix"? Too advanced for me!

Thank you all for your replies. All of your replies really helped. The first two replies led me to Euler's formula, while the third one by HallsofIvy led the rest of the problem from the point of getting the values of r using Euler's formula. Note: the -12x should be -120x for the answer, just a point out at a typo. :)

1. What is a fourth order differential equation?

A fourth order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the fourth derivative of a function. It describes the relationship between a function and its fourth derivative, and is commonly used in physics and engineering to model complex systems.

2. How do you solve a fourth order differential equation?

There is no single method for solving all fourth order differential equations. However, there are several techniques that can be used depending on the specific equation, such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, or using a computer software program. It is important to have a strong understanding of calculus and differential equations in order to effectively solve fourth order equations.

3. What are some applications of fourth order differential equations?

Fourth order differential equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems that involve acceleration, such as vibrations, oscillations, and motion. They are also used in other areas of science, such as biology and economics, to describe complex behaviors and relationships.

4. How do you know if a given equation is a fourth order differential equation?

A fourth order differential equation can be identified by looking at the highest derivative present in the equation. If the highest derivative is the fourth derivative, then the equation is a fourth order differential equation. It is also important to check that the equation is not reducible to a lower order by algebraic manipulation.

5. Are there any real-world examples of fourth order differential equations?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of systems that can be described by fourth order differential equations. For instance, a mass-spring-damper system, which models the oscillations of a mass attached to a spring and damper, can be described by a fourth order differential equation. Other examples include the motion of a pendulum, the behavior of electrical circuits, and the growth of populations.