Find frequency response and circular frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the frequency response and circular frequency -3dB for a system of 1st grade. The homework equations involve converting to dB and using Fourier. The solution for the first problem is 2 / (2 + jw), the second problem involves finding the maximum response at ω = 0, and the third problem is to find the response at 6 rad/sec, which should be closer to -10 dB rather than the book's answer of -20 dB.
Hepic

Homework Statement

We are given that system of 1st grade
1/2 * dy(t)/dt + y(t) = x(t)

1) We need to find frequency response { H(w) }
2) We need to find circular frequency -3dB
3) We need to find the absolute value of H(w) in dB for frequency f = 3/π Hz

2. Homework Equations
(log is always with base 10)

Convertion to db => db = 20log(|H(w)|)
circular frequency = -3db => |H(w)|{w=-3db} = 1/sqrt(2) * H(w){max w}
Y(w) = H(w) * X(w)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B] I solved the 1st one with that way.
(take Fourier) => 1/2* jw*Y(w) + Y(w) = X(w)
(divide with X(w)) => 1/2* j*w*H(w) + H(w) = 1 => H(w) = 1 / (1/2 * j*w + 1) => H(w) = 2 / (2 + jw)

For 2nd I don't know what is w = max, and for 3rd I did an attempt but I found wrong result.
My book gives as answer for 2nd the value = 2rad/sec, and for 3rd the value -20dB.
If anyone can help me with the procedure of solving I would be happy.

Thanks in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
Hepic said:
what is w = max
For a first order system the "maximum response" is if dy/dt = 0 so for ##\ \omega = 0##.

Hi Hepic. You should be able to recognize your transfer function H(ω) as that of a typical first order low pass filter.
Fig1.gif

As such you can find the -3dB frequency by inspection of H(ω) itself, or if you want to do the math, determine ω that makes |H(ω)|2 = 1/2, i.e., find the half-power point.

I find myself disagreeing with the book's answer of -20 dB for the response at 6 rad/sec. A first order low pass filter should decline at a rate of 20 dB per decade after the corner frequency (using the straight-line curve fit approximation). Now 6 rad/sec is not a decade past 2 rad/sec. I'd expect something closer to -10 dB for the response at 6 rad/sec.

gneill said:
I'd expect something closer to -10 dB for the response at 6 rad/sec.
Yes - it is exactly a value of -10 dB.

1. What is frequency response?

Frequency response is a measure of how a system responds to different frequencies of a signal. It shows the relationship between the input signal and the output signal of a system, and it can be used to determine the frequency range over which a system will accurately reproduce a signal.

2. How is frequency response measured?

Frequency response is typically measured by applying a range of known input signals to a system and measuring the corresponding output signals. The results are then plotted on a graph, with frequency on the horizontal axis and the magnitude or phase of the output on the vertical axis.

3. What is circular frequency?

Circular frequency, also known as angular frequency, is a measure of how many cycles of a periodic signal occur in one unit of time. It is expressed in units of radians per second and is related to the more commonly used measure of frequency, which is expressed in units of hertz (Hz).

4. How do you find the frequency response of a system?

The frequency response of a system can be found by applying a known input signal to the system and measuring the corresponding output signal. This process is repeated for a range of frequencies, and the results are then plotted on a graph. The frequency response can also be calculated mathematically using the system's transfer function.

5. Why is frequency response important?

Frequency response is important because it allows us to understand how a system will respond to different input signals. It is particularly useful in fields such as signal processing and audio engineering, where the accuracy and fidelity of a signal is crucial. Frequency response also provides valuable information for designing and optimizing systems for specific applications.