Find functions with given domain and range

In summary, the conversation discussed finding continuous functions with specific domains and ranges. Suggestions were provided for functions that could meet the given criteria. Modifications were also suggested for certain functions to fit the criteria better.
xsw001
1) Find a continuous function f: (0,1)->R with f[(0,1)]=R
I couldn't think of any function except tangent, but its domain is NOT (0,1) though? Any suggestions?

2) Find a continuous function f: (0,1)->R with f[(0,1)]=[0,1]
I couldn't think of any function that I know. Any suggestions?

3) Find a continuous function f: R->R this is strictly increasing and f(R)=(-1,1)
The graph is somewhat look like f(x)=x^(1/3), but not exactly though since the domain doesn't fall into (-1,1). Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
xsw001 said:
1) Find a continuous function f: (0,1)->R with f[(0,1)]=R
I couldn't think of any function except tangent, but its domain is NOT (0,1) though? Any suggestions?

Not a bad idea. Modify it to [itex]f(x)=tan(ax+b)[/itex] and figure out what [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] should be.

2) Find a continuous function f: (0,1)->R with f[(0,1)]=[0,1]
I couldn't think of any function that I know. Any suggestions?

You're being asked to find a function whose range is [0,1]. Surely you can immediately come up with 2 examples.

3) Find a continuous function f: R->R this is strictly increasing and f(R)=(-1,1)
The graph is somewhat look like f(x)=x^(1/3), but not exactly though since the domain doesn't fall into (-1,1). Any suggestions?

I'm thinking arctangent here.

Okay, I got the first and third one, but can you provide me some oscillated function for the 2nd one though? I know it has to do with 1/[x(x-1)], but the graph is not exactly in between [0,1] though.

Why not use sine or cosine?

Oh, yeah, thanks!

1. How do I find a function with a given domain and range?

To find a function with a given domain and range, you can use the process of elimination. Start by writing out the domain and range given and then try to come up with a simple function that includes those values. If that doesn't work, try plugging in different numbers until you find a pattern that matches the given domain and range.

2. Can I use any type of function to match a given domain and range?

Yes, as long as the function includes all the values in the given domain and range, it can be used to match them. However, some functions may be simpler or more appropriate for specific domains and ranges.

3. What if the given domain and range seem impossible to match with a function?

If you are having trouble finding a function that matches a given domain and range, it is possible that there is an error in the given values. Double check your work and make sure you are not missing any important information.

4. Can I use a graph to find a function with a given domain and range?

Yes, a graph can be a helpful tool when trying to find a function with a given domain and range. Look for patterns in the graph that match the given domain and range, and use those patterns to create a function.

5. Is there a specific method or formula for finding functions with given domain and range?

There is no one specific method or formula for finding functions with given domain and range. It requires problem-solving skills and knowledge of mathematical concepts and patterns. However, there are general guidelines and strategies that can be used to find these functions.