Find Fundamental Frequency of Vibrating Mylar Membrane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
FrankCashio
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Alright I've been going crazy with this problem. I'm building an electrostatic loudspeaker. In order to get it right I need to find the Fundamental frequency of the vibrating membrane.

This membrane will be of an elastic substance, Mylar. Approx. 5 microns think with a young's modulus of about 4 GPA.

How do you go about solving a problem like this?

I know the solution will have tension, elasticity in the equation. I guess what I'm really asking is what are the group of equations defining modes of vibrations in elastic membranes. I know it will be in the form of a simple harmonic motion

f= 1/2 PI * SQRT(k/m) but there is nothing in that equation relating the restoring force of the membrane due to it's elasticity nor the effects of Air damping it due to drag/viscosity.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a circular membrane with fixed rim the frequencies for resonance are given by
f_nm=j_nm*c/(2PI R)
where R is the radius of the membrane and j_nm are the zeroes of the Bessel function of first order.
The lowest value for j_nm in my table is 2.4
So this will give the lowest frequency.
You still need the speed of sound in your material (c).
 
For rectangular, with same fixed rim conditions,
f_nm=(c/2)*[(n/Lx)^2+(m/Ly)^2]^(1/2)
(you take square root from the straight bracket)

Fundamental freq is for n=m=1
Lx,Ly - dimensions of the membrane