What are the methods for solving y''' + y' = tan(t) 0<t<pi?

You can do the same thing with polynomials: (x - 1)(x - 2)(x - 3)(x - 4) would be x-1 and (x - 2)-1 and (x - 3)-1 and (x - 4)-1, which is suggestive(?) of the inverse of the polynomial.
invisible_man
y''' + y' = tan(t) 0<t<pi

I got yh = c1 + c2cos(t) + c3sin(t)

I'm trying to solve by Undetermined Coefficient method and Variation of Parameters method, but it didn't work

Physics news on Phys.org
It helps to integrate both sides
y''+1=C+log(sec(x)) thus reducing the problem to
y''+1=f(x)

"Undetermined coefficients" won't work here since tangent is not one of the functions you can have as a solution to a differential equation with constant coefficients.

But "variation of parameters" will always work. What did you get? One difficulty is that varation of parameters often leads to undoable integrals- but you can write the solution in terms of the integral.

Since this is a third order equation, you will have to require that all terms involving the first derivative of the unknown functions add to 0 after differentiating both times.

That is, assuming a solution of the form y(t)= u(t)+ v(t)cos(t)+ w(t)sin(t), y'= u'+ v'cos(t)- vsin(t)+ w' sin(t)+ wcos(t). Since, in fact, there are an infinite number of functions, u, v, w, that will work here, we "narrow the search" by requiring that u'+ v'cos(t)+ w'sin(t)= 0.

That leaves y'= -v sin(t)+ w cos(t). Differentiating that y"= -v' sin(t)- v cos(t)+ w' cos(t)- w sin(t). Again, we "narrow the search" by requiring that -v' sin(t)+ w' cos(t)= 0.

That leaves y"= -v cos(t)- w sin(t). Differentiating again, y"'= -v' cos(t)+ v sin(t)- w' sin(t)- w cos(t). Since we had y'= -v sin(t)+ w cos(t), y"'+ y'= -v' cos(t)- w' sin(t). The fact that cos(t) and sin(t) are solutions to the homogeneous differential equation caused all etcept the u' and v' terms to cancel.

Now we have three linear equations for u', v', and w':
u'+ v'cos(t)+ w'sin(t)= 0, -v' sin(t)+ w' cos(t)= 0, and -v' cos(t)- w' sin(t)= tan(t).

Solve those for u', v', and w' and integrate.

Since it has been over a month since this was posted, I will give the solution.

Multiply the equation -v'sin(t)+ w'cos(t)= 0 by sin(t) and the equation -v' cos(t)- w' sin(t)= tan(t) by cos(t) to get
[tex]-v' sin^2(t)+ w'sin(t)cos(t)= 0[/tex]
and
[tex]-v' cos^2(t)- w'sin(t)cos(t)= sin(t)[/tex]

Adding those equations eliminates w' and leaves [itex]-v'= sin(t)[/itex]. Integrating, v(t)= cos(t)+ C. We can take the constant to be 0.
Putting v'= -sin(t) into -v' sin(t)+ w' cos(t)= 0, [itex]sin^2(t)+ w' cos(t)= 0[/itex] so that
[tex]w'= \frac{sin^2(t)}{cos(t)}[/tex]. To integrate that, multiply numerator and denominator by cos(t) to get
[tex]w'= \frac{sin^2(t)}{cos^(t)} cos(t)= \frac{sin^2(t)}{1- sin^2(t)} cos(t)[/itex]

Letting u= sin(t), we have
[tex]w(t)= \int \frac{sin^2(t)}{1- sin^2(t)} cos(t) dt= \int \frac{u^2}{1- u^2} du= \int -1- u^-2 du[/tex]
[tex]= -u+ u^{-1}+ C= -sin(t)+ \frac{1}{sin(t)}+ C[/tex]

Putting v'= - sin(t) and [itex]w'= sin^2(t)/cos(t)[/itex] into u'+ v'cos(t)+ w'sin(t)= 0, u'- sin(t)cos(t)+ sin^3(t)/cos(t)= 0, [itex]+ u'= sin(t)cos(t)- sin^3(t)/cos(t)= sin(t)(cos^2(t)- sin^2(t))/cos(t)[/itex]. Integrate that to find u.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried using operator method? It can deal with linear differential equation with arbitrary inhomogeneous function easily.

Here is a reference for the method:

http://www.voofie.com/content/6/introduction-to-differential-equation-and-solving-linear-differential-equations-using-operator-metho/"

ross_tang said:
Have you tried using operator method? It can deal with linear differential equation with arbitrary inhomogeneous function easily.

Here is a reference for the method:

http://www.voofie.com/content/6/introduction-to-differential-equation-and-solving-linear-differential-equations-using-operator-metho/"

Nice! I had no idea this could be done:

[tex]y'''+y'=\tan(t)[/tex]

[tex](D^3+D)y=\tan(t)[/tex]

[tex]D(D^2+1)y=\tan(t)[/tex]

[tex]y=\frac{1}{D(D^2+1)}\tan(t)[/tex]

[tex]y=\frac{1}{D(D-i)(D+i)}\tan(t)[/tex]

[tex]y=\left(\frac{1}{D}-\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{D-i}-\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{D+i}\right)\tan(t)[/tex]

thus:

[tex]y=\left(\int \tan(t)+c_1\right)-1/2 e^{it}\left(\int e^{-it}\tan(t)+c_2\right)-1/2 e^{-it}\left(\int e^{it}\tan(t)+c_3\right)[/tex]

which surprising to me, is really the solution when it's back-substituted. :)

I am so glad that you read my tutorial and solved the problem yourself. It is rather strange that you can do a partial fraction on the differential operators. But I think it is just due to the algebraic structure of the differential operator.

The notation 1/D, 1/(D - i), and so on is a little misleading, since it implies division, and this is not at all what is going on. Better notation would be D-1 and (D - i)-1, which is suggestive of the inverse.

Related to What are the methods for solving y''' + y' = tan(t) 0<t<pi?

1. What is a general solution?

A general solution is a solution to a mathematical problem that includes all possible solutions. It is often expressed in terms of variables, rather than specific numbers, and can be used to find specific solutions for different values of the variables.

2. How do I find the general solution to an equation?

To find the general solution to an equation, you can follow these steps:

1. Solve the equation for the dependent variable (usually y or f(x)) in terms of the independent variable (usually x).
  2. Replace the dependent variable with a variable, such as "c", to represent the constant term.
  3. Write the equation in the form y = mx + c, where m represents the coefficient of x.
  4. This equation represents the general solution, as it includes all possible solutions for different values of x and c.

3. Can a general solution have more than one variable?

Yes, a general solution can have more than one variable. This is often the case for systems of equations, where there are multiple variables that are interdependent and have a common solution.

4. How do I check if my general solution is correct?

To check if your general solution is correct, you can substitute different values for the variables and see if they satisfy the original equation. If they do, then your solution is correct. You can also graph the general solution and see if it matches the graph of the original equation.

5. Can a general solution be used to find specific solutions?

Yes, a general solution can be used to find specific solutions. By substituting specific values for the variables in the general solution, you can find the corresponding solutions for those values. The general solution can also be used to find a range of solutions by substituting different values for the constant term.