Find gravitational potent. energy - isotropic distribution

So, for a homogeneous sphere, it is constant and equal to ##M/((4πR^3)/3)##.In summary, the gravitational force of a mass located inside a homogeneous isotropic distribution of spherical radius and total mass M can be calculated using the formula Fg = -GmM(r)/r^2, where r is the distance between the mass and the center of distribution, and M(r) is the mass contained below the distance r. The density of the sphere is defined as M/((4πR^3)/3), and the gravitational potential energy can be found as a function of M, m, R, r, and G. However, it is important to note that the formula used
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I am told that the gravitational force of a mass m located inside an isotropic distribution of spherical radius R and total mass M is given by
Fg = -GmM(r)/r^2
where r is the distance between m and the center of distribution and M (r) is the mass contained below the distance r (weight between 0 and r). Suppose the sphere is homogeneous of constant density
ρ= M/((4πR^3)/3)
I need to find the gravitational potential energy inside the distribution as a function of M, m, R, r and G

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have found the gravitational potential energy, but I don't know how the density is going to come into play. I also don't understand what the isotropic distribution is going to change in my answer and derivation.
upload_2016-11-6_13-27-4.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend that you read the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_law_of_universal_gravitation, especially the section "Gravitational field". It seems like the formula you are using is not correct, since it is valid for ##r>R## (##R## being the radius of the sphere). Density is defined as the mass per volume.

1. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

Gravitational potential energy is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the gravitational field strength (acceleration due to gravity) and the height of the object above the ground.

2. What is an isotropic distribution in relation to gravitational potential energy?

An isotropic distribution refers to a system where the potential energy is evenly distributed in all directions. In the context of gravitational potential energy, this means that the energy is evenly spread throughout the space surrounding the object.

3. Can gravitational potential energy be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the object is in a lower position than the reference point and the gravitational field strength is negative, such as in the case of an object falling towards a planet.

4. How does distance affect gravitational potential energy?

The farther an object is from the source of gravity, the higher its potential energy. This is because the gravitational field strength decreases with distance, resulting in a lower potential energy.

5. Is gravitational potential energy the same as gravitational potential?

No, gravitational potential energy and gravitational potential are not the same. Gravitational potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit mass, while gravitational potential energy is the total amount of potential energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field.