Find gravitational acceleration through luminosity

In summary, the homework statement says that the gravitational acceleration at the surface is about 30 times larger than on Earth.
astrofunk21

Homework Statement

Use equation 1.3 to estimate the solar radius Ro from its luminosity and effective temperature. Show that the gravitational acceleration g at the surface is about 30 times larger than that on Earth.

Homework Equations

(1.3) L=4∏R2σSBT4

The Attempt at a Solution

Well we know the gravity of something can be determined through g=[itex]\frac{-GM}{r*r}[/itex]. Solving for r in the gravitational equation will allow us to substitute that into the luminosity equation. With all of those known, we can solve for g and see how it is 30 times larger. This however did not work. My answer was -27.79 m*s-2.

Now since this number is pretty much off by a factor of ten, I feel that I'm on the right track. Maybe I messed something up in my calculation that you guys will see. My substitution will be below if it helps.

1. L=4∏R2σSBT4

2. g=[itex]\frac{-GM}{r*r}[/itex]

3. r2=[itex]\frac{-GM}{g}[/itex]

4. L=4∏[itex]\frac{-GM}{g}[/itex]σSBT4

5. g=[itex]\frac{-GMT^{4}4∏σ}{L}[/itex]

6. Then solve for g!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well we know the gravity of something can be determined through g=−GM/r∗r. Using this we can first find the effective temperatures for both the Earth and the sun. Solving for r in the gravitational equation will allow us to substitute that into the luminosity equation.
I'm not clear on your reasoning here - doesn;t the question expect you to do this the exact opposite way around?

Simon Bridge said:
I'm not clear on your reasoning here - doesn;t the question expect you to do this the exact opposite way around?

Hey sorry about that, meant to delete that sentence about the effective temperature. It was a method I was using before. Does it make more sense now?

It looks to me like you solved correctly for g in terms of L, T and M. Now they must have given you some numbers to plug in for those variables. What were they?

Last edited:
It's the reasoning that puzzles me - wouldn't it be more direct to solve for R2 in eq. 1.3 and sub into the equation for g?

$$g_{Sol} = \frac{M_{Sol}}{m_E} \frac{r^2_{E}}{R^2_{Sol}} g_{E}\; : \; R^2=\frac{L}{4\pi\sigma T^4}$$

Anyway - you got the same equation so ... provided you have not made some arithmetic error, or used bad numbers, what does the mismatch tell you about the estimate? What assumptions are made to get equation 1.3?

In terms of some numbers that were used I had:
M = 2x1030kg
T = 5780K
σSB = 5.67x10-8Wm-2K-4
L = 3.86x1026W
G = 6.67x10-11m3kg-1s-2

Simpler problem than I thought. Got the answer and it's right.

I solved for R like the problem says and like Simon said. Then plugged that into the accel due to gravity equation. This gave me a number around 280 which is close to 30 times that of Earth's gravity.

Thanks guys!

Simon Bridge said:
What assumptions are made to get equation 1.3?
The primary assumption is that the sun is a black body.

I had wondered if the teacher wanted to provide an example of a model that did not work well :) If the numbers were correct, and there was no finger-slippage on the calculator, then the result disagreeing with reality would mean that the model contained a flaw.

Occasionally someone will do that to you just to see who's alert.
You get marks by identifying the flaw - hence the suggestion to look at the assumptions.

But that was not the case this time.

1. What is the purpose of finding gravitational acceleration through luminosity?

The purpose of finding gravitational acceleration through luminosity is to determine the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. This can help us better understand the dynamics of the universe and the properties of celestial bodies.

2. How does luminosity relate to gravitational acceleration?

Luminosity is a measure of the total amount of energy emitted by an object, while gravitational acceleration is a measure of the strength of the gravitational force. By observing the luminosity of an object and its distance from another object, we can calculate the gravitational acceleration between them.

3. What are the units of measurement for gravitational acceleration and luminosity?

The units of measurement for gravitational acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2) or in terms of the acceleration due to Earth's gravity, 9.8 m/s^2. Luminosity is measured in watts (W) or solar luminosities (L☉), which is a unit of measurement equivalent to the luminosity of the sun.

4. Can gravitational acceleration be calculated for all objects?

Yes, gravitational acceleration can be calculated for any two objects with mass and distance between them. However, for objects with very small masses or very large distances, the gravitational acceleration may be too small to accurately measure.

5. How is the gravitational acceleration through luminosity method used in astronomy?

In astronomy, the gravitational acceleration through luminosity method is used to study the properties of celestial bodies, such as stars and galaxies. By measuring the luminosity of these objects and their distance from each other, scientists can calculate the gravitational acceleration and better understand the dynamics of the universe.