Find how far apart are the particles from each other

In summary, two particles oscillate in simple harmonic motion with amplitude A, each with a period of 3.3 s and a phase constant of π/9 rad. When the lagging particle starts at +A, 0.50 s after the lagging particle leaves one end of the path, the particles will be 0.31m apart. The phase constant of the leading particle can be found by using the same equation for displacement and replacing the phase constant of the lagging particle with π/9.
Angelique

Homework Statement

Two particles oscillate in simple harmonic motion with amplitude A, about the centre of a common straight line of length 2A. Each particle has a period of 3.3 s, and their phase constants differ by π/9 rad. (Assume the lagging particle starts at +A. Also assume that the +x-axis is to the right. Use any variable or symbol stated above as necessary.)
I want to find how far apart are the particles from each other (in terms of A) 0.50 s after the lagging particle leaves one end of the path?

Homework Equations

x(t) = Acos(wt + ϕ)
w= sqrt(k/m)
x(0) = Acos( ϕ)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I found that w = 1.9
2. the phase constant for the lagging particle is 2pi or 0 since A=Acos(phase constant)
3. i used the equation for displacement and found that x = 0.58A for the lagging particle
4. the phase constant for the first particle is pi/9 for the second particle since we're told their phase constants differ by this much
Now my question is how do i find the displacement of the leading particle? Can i just use the same time (t value) as the lagging particle?
I already tried just using the same equation for the leading particle as i did for the lagging particle and only replacing ϕ with pi/9 instead of 0. But, i got the wrong answer
ie. lagging = x(0.5) = Acos(1.9(0.5) + 0) = 0.58m
x(0.5) = Acos(1.9(0.5) + pi/9) = 0.27
0.58-0.27= 0.31m

Physics news on Phys.org
... if particle 1 lags particle 2 by ##\delta## then ##\phi_2-\phi_1=\cdots## what?

1. How do you measure the distance between particles?

The distance between particles can be measured using various methods such as microscopy, spectroscopy, or by tracking the movement of particles using specialized software.

2. What is the unit of measurement for particle distance?

The unit of measurement for particle distance can vary depending on the scale of the particles and the method of measurement. Common units include nanometers, micrometers, and angstroms.

3. Can the distance between particles change over time?

Yes, the distance between particles can change over time due to various factors such as temperature, pressure, or external forces acting on the particles.

4. How does the distance between particles affect their behavior?

The distance between particles can affect their behavior by influencing their interactions. For example, particles that are closer together may have stronger attractive or repulsive forces, while particles that are further apart may have weaker interactions.

5. What are some factors that can impact the accuracy of measuring particle distance?

Some factors that can impact the accuracy of measuring particle distance include the resolution of the measurement equipment, the stability of the environment, and the presence of impurities or contaminants that may affect the movement of particles.