1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find how far apart are the particles from each other

1. Nov 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two particles oscillate in simple harmonic motion with amplitude A, about the centre of a common straight line of length 2A. Each particle has a period of 3.3 s, and their phase constants differ by π/9 rad. (Assume the lagging particle starts at +A. Also assume that the +x-axis is to the right. Use any variable or symbol stated above as necessary.)
    I want to find how far apart are the particles from each other (in terms of A) 0.50 s after the lagging particle leaves one end of the path?

2. Relevant equations
    x(t) = Acos(wt + ϕ)
    w= sqrt(k/m)
    x(0) = Acos( ϕ)

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. I found that w = 1.9
    2. the phase constant for the lagging particle is 2pi or 0 since A=Acos(phase constant)
    3. i used the equation for displacement and found that x = 0.58A for the lagging particle
    4. the phase constant for the first particle is pi/9 for the second particle since we're told their phase constants differ by this much
    Now my question is how do i find the displacement of the leading particle? Can i just use the same time (t value) as the lagging particle?
    I already tried just using the same equation for the leading particle as i did for the lagging particle and only replacing ϕ with pi/9 instead of 0. But, i got the wrong answer
    ie. lagging = x(0.5) = Acos(1.9(0.5) + 0) = 0.58m
    x(0.5) = Acos(1.9(0.5) + pi/9) = 0.27
    0.58-0.27= 0.31m

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... if particle 1 lags particle 2 by ##\delta## then ##\phi_2-\phi_1=\cdots## what?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted