1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Initial Velocity from Angle and Horizontal Distance

1. Feb 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "An athlete executing a long jump leaves the ground at a 30.0° angle and travels a horizontal distance 8.00m. What was the take-off speed?"

Let
    ##x=## horizontal distance
    ##v=## velocity
    ##a=## acceleration

Known:
    ##x=8 m##
    ##x_0=0 m##
    ##a_y=-9.8 m/s^2##
    ##v_{0x}=v_0cos(30°)##
    ##v_{0y}=v_0sin(30°)##

Solve for ##v_0##

2. Relevant equations
    The only acceleration present is gravitational acceleration, so constant acceleration formulas are valid here. I decided to work with the horizontal component, because I was given the horizontal distance.
    ##v_x^2=v_{0x}^2+2a_x(x-x_0)##
    ##x=x_0+v_{0x}t+1/2a_xt^2##
    ##x=x_0+1/2(v_{0x}+v_x)t##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I decided that since the athlete lands, and thus stops moving, at ##x=8,## the ##x## component of the final velocity would be ##v_x=0.## Given this and the values given above, I began plugging my values into the first relevant equation. But that led to ##v_0=0##!

##v_x^2=v_{0x}^2+2a_x(x-x_0)##

##v_0x=v_0cos(30°).##

##0=(v_0cos(30°))^2,##

##v_0=0##

On my next attempt I went out on a bit of a limb and used the third relevant equation to derive time ##t,## which I knew would contain the unsolved variable ##v_0.## I got this and plugged this into the second relevant equation, which made the two ##v_{0x}## variables cancel out.

##x=x_0+v_0t+1/2a_xt^2##

##t=16/v_0##

##x=x_0+v_{0x}t+1/2a_xt^2##

##8=0+v_{0x}(16/v_{0x}),##

There's something I'm not taking into consideration (and I might be making this harder than it needs to be), but I don't know what. Any hints as to where I should be directing my thinking on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are not taking the y displacement under consideration. And there is no x-acceleration. The only accelerative agent is gravity.

So write the equations for the x and y coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook