Find k in f(x) = ln(5x-3)^k, when f'(1) = k?

• Thread starter silvershine
  • Start date
In summary: No. You should get only one term. I think you are using the product rule incorrectly. There really is no need to use the product rule when one factor is a constant.
silvershine

Homework Statement

Find the value of the constant, k, when f(x) = ln(5x-3)^k and f'(1) = 4

Homework Equations

f(x) = ln(5x-3)^k
f'(1) = 4

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried:
f'(x) = [kln(5x-3)^(k-1)] [1/(5x-3)] (5)
And when I simplified that, I got
f'(x) = 5kln(5x-3)^(k-1) / (5x - 3)

I tried plugging in 4 and 1 so that
4 = 5kln(2)^(k-1) / 2
8 = 5kln(2)^(k-1)
8/5 = kln(2)^(k-1)

And now I'm stumped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
silvershine said:

Homework Statement

Find the value of the constant, k, when f(x) = ln(5x-3)^k and f'(1) = 4

Homework Equations

f(x) = ln(5x-3)^k
f'(1) = 4

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried:
f'(x) = [kln(5x-3)^(k-1)] [1/(5x-3)] (5)
And when I simplified that, I got
f'(x) = 5kln(5x-3)^(k-1) / (5x - 3)

I tried plugging in 4 and 1 so that
4 = 5kln(2)^(k-1) / 2
8 = 5kln(2)^(k-1)
8/5 = kln(2)^(k-1)

And now I'm stumped.

It seems to me that you're doing a lot of extra work that you don't need to do.

ln(5x - 3)k = k*ln(5x - 3)

Or did you mean [ln(5x - 3)]k?

BTW, this is obviously a calculus problem, so should not have been posted in the precalc section. I am moving it to the Calculus & Beyond section.

Sorry about posting it in the wrong section! This was a bonus question in my precalc homework.

From the looks of it, the question says ln(5x - 3)^k.

So would I do:
4 = kln(2)
4/k = ln(2)
k = ln(2)/4?

silvershine said:
Sorry about posting it in the wrong section! This was a bonus question in my precalc homework.

From the looks of it, the question says ln(5x - 3)^k.

So would I do:
4 = kln(2)
4/k = ln(2)
k = ln(2)/4?

To repeat Mark44's question: do you mean [ln(5x-3)]^k or ln[(5x-3)^k]? It makes a big difference.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
To repeat Mark44's question: do you mean [ln(5x-3)]^k or ln[(5x-3)^k]? It makes a big difference.

RGV

It says ln[(5x-3)^k].

Now that that's cleared up,
f(x) = ln[(5x - 3)k] = k*ln(5x - 3)
What is f'(x)?

f'(x) would k[1/(5x+3)](5) + ln(5x-3), with the chain rule, right? Which would simplify to 5k/(5x-3) + ln(5x -3)?

silvershine said:
f'(x) would k[1/(5x+3)](5) + ln(5x-3), with the chain rule, right? Which would simplify to 5k/(5x-3) + ln(5x -3)?
No. You should get only one term. I think you are using the product rule incorrectly. There really is no need to use the product rule when one factor is a constant.

Mark44 said:
No. You should get only one term. I think you are using the product rule incorrectly. There really is no need to use the product rule when one factor is a constant.

Hm... So then would it be 5k/(5x-3)?

silvershine said:
Hm... So then would it be 5k/(5x-3)?
Who is "it"? Are you talking about f(x) or f'(x)?

I actually know what you're referring to, but I'm trying to get you to be more precise in what you're writing.

Sorry.
So f'(x) would be 5k/(5x-3)?

Yes.

And you're given that f'(1) = 4, so k = ?

So then k = 8/5, right?

Alright. So to clarify:
When you have a constant times a function, when you take the derivative, you don't have to use the product rule?

I'm hopeful that a couple of points have sunk in.

1. When you have ln[<something>k], this is equal to k*ln[<something>], as long as <something> is greater than 0.
If you have to differentiate a function like this, it is much easier to differentiate the latter form.

2. Never use the product rule to differentiate a product where one factor is a constant. Instead, use the constant multiple rule. Although there is nothing wrong with using the product rule in this case, the product rule is more complicated to use, so offers a greater chance of introducing a mistake.

A corollary to 2 is
3. Never use the quotient rule if the denominator is a constant. For example, f(x) = ##\frac{\sqrt{x}}{3}##. Write this as ##\frac{1}{3} \sqrt{x} ##
Pull the constant out as 1/k and then use the constant multiple rule. Again, it's not wrong to use the quotient rule, but it's even more complicated than the product rule, so the chances of making a mistake are even greater.

They have! Or they will, once I get more practice with them.

Thanks for walking me through! I can do the rest of these bonus problems on my own now.

silvershine said:
Alright. So to clarify:
When you have a constant times a function, when you take the derivative, you don't have to use the product rule?

In some sense you are doing the product rule, but the derivative of a constant is zero so...

What is the value of k?

K is the exponent in the given function f(x) = ln(5x-3)^k, which determines the rate at which the output of the function changes with respect to the input.

How do I find k in the given function?

To find k, we need to use the given information f'(1) = k. This means that at x=1, the slope of the tangent line to the graph of f(x) is equal to k. We can use this slope to determine the value of k.

Can k be a negative value?

Yes, k can be a negative value. This would indicate that the graph of the function f(x) is decreasing at a particular point, and the rate of change is negative.

Is there a specific method to find k in this function?

Yes, there is a specific method to find k in this function. We can use the derivative of the function f(x) to find the value of k, by setting it equal to f'(1) and solving for k.

What is the significance of finding k in this function?

Finding k helps us understand the behavior of the function f(x) and how it changes with respect to the input. It also allows us to make predictions and analyze the graph of the function at different points.