1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find lengths of triange sides using trig calculations

1. Mar 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See attached image.

2. Relevant equations
    Sine law
    Cosine law

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm really not sure what to do on this one. I know that the angle ABC and ACB will be the same, but after that I'm stumped. It's been a long time since I've taken a math course so I'm not sure what the relevance of the length of AD is.

Attached Files:

• math.png
      math.png
      File size:
      12.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why don't you draw triangle ACD? Can you identify the lengths of any of the sides of this triangle?

4. Mar 8, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

AD tells you how tall the pyramid is. If you had AD = 0 it would be flat, with no peak at all. If you had AD = 6000m the thing would be almost as high as Mt. Everest.

You need to look at some other triangles, such as ADB.

5. Mar 8, 2013 #4
    Oh okay, that makes sense. Except I don't have any angles, and all I have is one measurement. How would I proceed?

6. Mar 8, 2013 #5
    Other than ADB (or ADC) which I think is 90°?

7. Mar 8, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, you have one measurement, and one "indirect" measurement---something you can easily figure out from the measurements you _do_ have. Just draw a picture, and look carefully at what you have.

8. Mar 8, 2013 #7
    The 90° angle?

9. Mar 8, 2013 #8
    Or DC is 1m?

10. Mar 8, 2013 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to figure out these things for yourself. We are not allowed to do your work for you.

11. Mar 8, 2013 #10

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Actually, 6000 m. short of the height of Mt. Everest by nearly 3000 m. The reference I found gives Everest's height as 29,035 ft or 8850 m. I remember the published height being 29,028 ft some years ago, but the Indian plate continues to push up the Himalayas, raising Everest in the process.

12. Mar 8, 2013 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry: I meant 8000m. Nevertheless, a 6000m high umbrella would still be a sight to see.

13. Mar 8, 2013 #12

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is DC 1m long? Lay out the base and see if this is reasonable.

14. Mar 8, 2013 #13
    I have no idea how to figure it out. If the lesson had properly explained it, then I wouldn't be asking for help. I do not have a teacher to ask these questions to so any help to actually help me understand so that I can then figure out the answer on my own is greatly appreciated.

15. Mar 8, 2013 #14
    I'm not sure what you mean by lay out the base? I haven't taken any math courses in 5 years so I'm a little rusty. Thank you for your help

16. Mar 8, 2013 #15

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The base is a square of sides 2m. The segment AD is one-half of a diagonal. Can you take it from there? That is, can you calculate the length of AD? If you can , then you will have a right triangle with known base and height, so you can calculate the hypotenuse; that will be the length of AB.

17. Mar 8, 2013 #16
    I'm still not following. I know what AD is, it's 0.5m. I know that the triangle ACD is a right angle triangle. I know once I figure out DC then I can use Pythagorean theorem to find AC, which would be the same as AB. Then I can figure out the angles etc. The problem I'm having right now is figuring out DC. That is all I'm stuck on. Everything else is fine, I just need to know how to start.

18. Mar 8, 2013 #17

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My apologies: meant that BD is one-half a diagonal. Of course AD is given.

19. Mar 8, 2013 #18
    Oh! Does that mean, I can find BD by using Pyth. theorem and dividing that by 2? So c^2 = 2^2 + 2^2
    so BD would equal 1.4 m??
    I think I'm finally understand

20. Mar 8, 2013 #19

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

BD is not equal to 1.4; it is equal to √2, and that is approximately 1.4 (but that is a pretty poor approximation). Don't bother using a decimal approximation at this stage; just keep the length as √2 .

Note: that type of thing can come back to bite you later; it is important to NOT use such approximations except where you need them, especially in larger, more complicated problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted