The problemFind side length using trig

In summary, the problem asks to find the length of $BC$ in a triangle $ABC$ with given values of $AB$, $∠A$, and $∠C$. Using trigonometric ratios, the length of side $BD$ can be found, which is then used to find the length of side $BC$ in a 45-45-90 triangle. However, the correct values for the side lengths to satisfy both the 30-60-90 and 45-45-90 triangles are not known. Further use of trigonometric laws such as the sine and cosine laws may be necessary to solve for $BC$ in simplest radical form.
caters

Homework Statement

$AB = 20 cm$, $m∠A = 30°$ , and $m∠C = 45°$ . Express the number of centimeters in the length of $BC$ in simplest radical form.

Homework Equations

$sin A = sin C$

The Attempt at a Solution

$AB = 20, BC = x$

D is the point where this obtuse triangle separates into 2 right triangles

$BD/20 = sin A$
$AD/20 = cos A$

30-60-90 triangle
$1:2:\sqrt{3}$

BD is 10 according to this ratio which means that sin A is 1/2 and AD would be $20\sqrt{3}$

sin C is the same but for a 45-45-90 triangle instead.

45-45-90 triangle
$1:1:\sqrt{2}$

But here is where I am stuck. I am trying to find the side lengths of the 45-45-90 triangle with the trigonometric ratios being the same for both triangles but the angles being different so that I know the hypotenuse BC. But I don't know what side lengths will give me the trigonometric ratios being the same and the $1:2:\sqrt{3}$ and $1:1:\sqrt{2}$ side length ratios being true.

Physics news on Phys.org
caters said:

Homework Statement

$AB = 20 cm$, $m∠A = 30°$ , and $m∠C = 45°$ . Express the number of centimeters in the length of $BC$ in simplest radical form.

Homework Equations

$sin A = sin C$

The Attempt at a Solution

$AB = 20, BC = x$

$BD/20 = sin A$
$AD/20 = cos A$

30-60-90 triangle

BD is 10 according to this ratio which means that sin A is 1/2 and AD would be $20\sqrt{3}$

45-45-90 triangle

But here is where I am stuck. I am trying to find the side lengths of the 45-45-90 triangle with the trigonometric ratios being the same for both triangles but the angles being different so that I know the hypotenuse BC. But I don't know what side lengths will give me the trigonometric ratios being the same and the $1:2:\sqrt{3}$ and $1:1:\sqrt{2}$ side length ratios being true.
Your result for the length of side AD is incorrect.

I second what SammyS says.
Once you know BD though, you should quickly know BC, since BC is the hypotenuse of the 45-45-90 triangle, right? You have already written the appropriate ratio for the length of a side to the hypotenuse of this triangle.

caters said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

$sin A = sin C$
No, with A= 30 degrees and B= 45 degrees sin(A) is definitely not equal to sin(C)!
Perhaps you meant the sine law:
[tex]\frac{sin(A)}{BC}= \frac{sin(B)}{AC}= \frac{sin(C)}{AB}[/tex]
The cosine law might also be useful:
[tex](AB)^2= (AC)^2+ (BC)^2- 2(AC)(BC) cos(C)[/tex]
and equivalent formulas for the other two angles.

3. The Attempt at a Solution
$AB = 20, BC = x$

$BD/20 = sin A$
$AD/20 = cos A$

30-60-90 triangle

45-45-90 triangle

I'm kind of new here... can someone please tell me what the dollar signs represent?

Saracen Rue said:
I'm kind of new here... can someone please tell me what the dollar signs represent?

They should be double dollar signs, and they're just a simpler alternative to the [tex] tags.

Saracen Rue said:
To further explain:

The dollar signs (as well as the # sign ) are used as tags to enable using "LaTeX" for displaying mathematical expressions.

On this site, those should be doubled.

For instance, $20\sqrt{3}$ , should have been ## $ \$ 20\text{\sqrt } 3 ## ## $$ ## .

It would display $$20\sqrt{3}$$

Last edited:

1. How do I use trigonometry to find the length of a side?

To find the length of a side using trigonometry, you will need to know at least one angle and one other side length of the triangle. Then, you can use the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, or tangent to calculate the unknown length.

2. Can I use trigonometry to find the length of any triangle's side?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to find the length of a side in any triangle, as long as you have enough information about the triangle's angles and side lengths.

3. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how does it relate to finding side lengths using trigonometry?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem can be used in conjunction with trigonometry to find missing side lengths in right triangles.

4. Is there a specific formula for finding the length of a side using trigonometry?

Yes, there are several formulas that can be used depending on the given information about the triangle. For example, the sine and cosine laws can be used to find side lengths in non-right triangles, while the tangent function can be used in right triangles.

5. Can I use a calculator to find the length of a side using trigonometry?

Yes, most scientific calculators have trigonometric functions built in, making it easy to calculate side lengths using trigonometry. However, it is important to understand the concepts and formulas behind the calculations in order to use the calculator effectively.