Using the Law of Sines - Getting a Domain Error on my Calculator

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 7K views
opus
Gold Member
Messages
717
Reaction score
131
Homework Statement
Solve for leg C in the following picture
Relevant Equations
Law of Sines
Law of Cosines
So we'd like to find leg C.
But we can't use Law of Cosines yet so we will use Law of Sines.

We can easily find the length of A and this is ##\sqrt{13}##.
With some geometry we can see that ##\angle a = 53.1##.
We can now use Law of sines.

$$\frac{\sin(a)}{A} = \frac{\sin(b)}{B}$$

We want to find ##\angle b##. So we have

$$\angle b = \sin^{-1}\left(\frac{B\sin(a)}{A}\right)$$

$$\angle b = \sin^{-1}\left(\frac{5\sin(53.1)}{\sqrt{13}}\right)$$

However this gives me a domain error in my calculator which makes sense because the argument is greater than 1. It's been awhile since I've done trig, so I'm wondering how to remedy this so that I can use the Law of Cosines after this?

Thanks
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 7.56.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 7.56.58 PM.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 619
Physics news on Phys.org
Leg C and the dotted line in the figure do not seem parallel to me. 53.1 degree angle may be from x axis.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ehild and SammyS
opus said:
Homework Statement:: Solve for leg C in the following picture
Relevant Equations:: Law of Sines
Law of Cosines

So we'd like to find leg C.
But we can't use Law of Cosines yet so we will use Law of Sines.

We can easily find the length of A and this is ##\sqrt{13}##.
With some geometry we can see that ##\angle a = 53.1##.
We can now use Law of sines.

$$\frac{\sin(a)}{A} = \frac{\sin(b)}{B}$$

We want to find ##\angle b##. So we have

$$\angle b = \sin^{-1}\left(\frac{B\sin(a)}{A}\right)$$

$$\angle b = \sin^{-1}\left(\frac{5\sin(53.1)}{\sqrt{13}}\right)$$

However this gives me a domain error in my calculator which makes sense because the argument is greater than 1. It's been awhile since I've done trig, so I'm wondering how to remedy this so that I can use the Law of Cosines after this?

Thanks
It seems to me that simple geometry shows ∠a to be somewhat less than 53.1°.

This problem is much easier to do if you use vector components.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ehild
@SammyS is right. A,B,C are shown as vectors. A is given with its x,y components, B is given with its magnitude and with the angle it makes clockwise with the positive x axis. The x component of vector C is asked.
How is related vector C with vectors A and B?
 
The figure shows
[tex]\mathbf{A}+\mathbf{B}=-\mathbf{C}[/tex]
 
mitochan said:
The figure shows
[tex]\mathbf{A}+\mathbf{B}=-\mathbf{C}[/tex]
Correct. How do you add two vectors by components?
You know the components of A: (2,3). What are the components of B?
1581165634463.png
 
Last edited:
[tex](5 cos\theta, 5 sin\theta)[/tex] where ##\theta## =- 53.1 degree.
 
mitochan said:
[tex](5 cos\theta, 5 sin\theta)[/tex] where ##\theta## =
- 53.1 degree.
Correct. So what are the components of vector C?
 
Thanks all! I’m about to take an exam so I’ll come back to this when I get home!