1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find limit L. Then find δ > 0 such that |f(x) - L| < 0.01 (f(x) = x^2 -3)

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find limit L. Then find δ > 0 such that |f(x) - L| < 0.01

Limit when x approaches 2 of x^2 -3

2. Relevant equations
    0 < |x-c| < δ
    0 < |f(x) - L| < ε

3. The attempt at a solution
    function is continuous at D = ℝ so limit is f(2) = 1

0 < |x-2| < δ and

0 < |x^2 -3 -1| < 0.01 ⇔ 0 < |x^2 -4| <0.01 ⇔ 0 < |x + 2|*|x-2| < 0.01 which is good because:
    0 < |x-2| = 0.01 / |x+2|

I've seen the solution and i see that i'm supposed to assume a range for x (like (1,3) ). I can imagine that because the function isn't linear a range has to be assumed.

They say that assuming this range gives δ = 0.01 / 5 = 0.002 witch seems to be the smallest of 0.01 / 3 and 0.01 / 5. That makes sense to me.

But why this chosen range? Why does this range apply to ε = 0.01? Choosing a different range gives a different δ.

Who can help me with this i'm really trying to understand this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi ialink! :smile:
    exactly! :smile:

δ depends on ε

(we could write it δ(ε) )

these proofs all involve showing that whatever ε we choose, we can always find a δ :wink:

(usually δ gets smaller and smaller, just like ε)

4. Oct 14, 2012 #3
    Hey Tiny Tim

If i Would express δ(ε) I'd say δ(ε) = ε / |x+2|. Calculating δ with this function is possible for D = ℝ (for both ε and x) so a logical conclusion is that the limit exists that's what you mean right?

but ε = 0.01 is given to find the appropriate δ. Something has to be assumed for x in δ(ε) = ε / |x+2|. They assume (1,3) and find δ = 1/5*ε or δ = 1/3*ε and therefore conclude that δ = 1/5 * 0.01 = 0.002. That i don't get. What's the relation between the chosen range (1,3) an ε = 0.01? Why is that valid?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook