Find Limit of (x*cos x-sin x)/(x-sin⁡x) at x→0

  • Thread starter Thread starter francisg3
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Function Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
francisg3
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
find the limit of lim ⁡(x*cos x-sin x)/(x-sin⁡x)
(x→0)



I know substitution does not work as it gives 0/0 and I attempted to factor and try the conjugate method without any result. I also tried l'hospital's rule which states that i take the derivative of the numerator and denominator which gave the following results:

lim x-> 0 = (cos x -xsin x-cos x)/(1-cos x) which still gives me 0/0
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use L'Hopital's again, but first simplify the numerator.
 
You have to apply l'hospital's repeatedely for this guy or use the power series of sinx and cosx.
 
alright so i applied l'hospital's again to
(-x*sin x)/(1-cos x) simplified version of the first derivative...then i dervied again to get

(-sin x - x*cos x)/(sin x) which itook the derivative once again to give:

(-cos x - cos x + x*sin x)/(cos x) which gives me a limit of -2...i have gone wrong somewhere
 
francisg3 said:
alright so i applied l'hospital's again to
(-x*sin x)/(1-cos x) simplified version of the first derivative...then i dervied again to get

(-sin x - x*cos x)/(sin x) which itook the derivative once again to give:

(-cos x - cos x + x*sin x)/(cos x) which gives me a limit of -2...i have gone wrong somewhere

Don't know why you think that... -2 is the answer I get.
 
francisg3 said:
alright so i applied l'hospital's again to
(-x*sin x)/(1-cos x) simplified version of the first derivative...then i dervied again to get

(-sin x - x*cos x)/(sin x) which itook the derivative once again to give:

Don't take the derivative again, this has a definite limit.
 
Sourabh N said:
Don't take the derivative again, this has a definite limit.

...no it doesn't...
 
You are right Char. Limit, my mistake. Thanks for your help!
 
Char. Limit said:
...no it doesn't...

Eek I took x/Sin x = 1 in my head *headdesk*
 
Last edited:
Sourabh N said:
Eek I took x/Sin x = 1 in my head *headdesk*

No problem. Just making sure the OP gets it right is all.