1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Linear operator [L] and compute

1. Jul 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let L be a linear operator such that:
    L[1, 1, 1, 1] = [2, 1, 0, 0]
    L[1, 1, 1, 0] = [0, 2, 1, 0]
    L[1, 1, 0, 1] = [1, 2, 0, 0]
    L[1, 0, 1, 1] = [2, 1, 0, 1]

a) Find [L]

b) Compute L[1, 2, 3, 4]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used another post on this forum to work on part b (I think) without actually using [L] itself. I expressed [1, 2, 3, 4] as a linear combination of the other vectors (a*[1, 1, 1, 1], b*[1, 1, 1, 0], c*[1, 1, 0, 1], and d*[1, 0, 1, 1]) but I'm not sure where to go from there. Anyways, wouldn't it be easier to just find [L] like it asks and use that? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2011 #2
    Any ideas to get me started at least?

4. Jul 28, 2011 #3
    OK, if you want to calculate only the value of L at (1,2,3,4) then your idea would be worth a try, however, as you have to find L explicitly, you should use that L can be reagarded via some representation as a 4 x 4 matrix, i.e., 16 entries. By calculating with 16 variables, you would ultimately obtain a solution, but I think, it is to boring. So you could try to use the expressions above as well as the fact that L is a linear operator to calculate L acting on each of the basis vectors (1,0,0,0), (0,1,0,0), (0,0,1,0), (0, 0, 0, 1). But I am not quite sure about that. The system of linear equations may be boring to perform but it will ultimately give you the solution. Sp prepare a huge mug of coffee ;)

5. Jul 28, 2011 #4

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

You suggestion to find L(1,2,3,4) is absolutely correct. Dongo's suggestion of finding L is correct, it will be a 4x4 matrix.

6. Jul 28, 2011 #5
    Have you checked that the vectors (1,1,1,1), (1,1,1,0), (1,1,0,1), and (1,0,1,1) actually form a basis? We need to know that first.

Once that is done, then it's quite simple to find the matrix representation of L. In fact, the columns of [L] have a very straitforward formula...

Here's a hint. Suppose [itex]V = \left(v_1,v_2,v_3,v_4\right)[/itex] is a basis for the vector space. Look at how L operates on a linear combination [itex]c_1 v_1 + c_2 v_2 + c_3 v_3 + c_4 v_4 [/itex] remembering the properites of a linear transformation.

7. Jul 28, 2011 #6
    Hey thanks for the replies.

Somehow I found L. Although I'm not 100% clear on how I did it...

I started with a matrix of the original vectors that L was acting on, times some 4x4 matrix, and set it equal to a matrix with the solutions of L(v1), L(v2), etc... but transposed.

|1 1 1 1||a b c d| = |2 1 0 0|
    |1 1 1 0||e f g h | = |0 2 1 0|
    |1 1 0 1||i j k i | = |1 2 0 0|
    |1 0 1 1||m n o p| = |2 1 0 1|

Solving gave me the matrix:
    |-1 3 1 1|
    | 0 0 0 -1|
    | 1 -1 0 0|
    | 2 -1 -1 0|

Which, after transposing, is [L]. (I checked)

In my mind I thought I was doing what I read from y'all. But now I can't figure out what I really did. Seems kinda crazy. Thoughts?

8. Jul 28, 2011 #7
    OK, suppose

[tex] B = \left( (1,1,1,1),(1,1,1,0),(1,1,0,1),(1,0,1,1) \right)[/tex]

is, in fact, a basis (we still need to check that!). The matrix [L] that you just computed is allegedly the matrix representation of L with respect to B. Let [itex]v_1[/itex] represent that first basis vector. Its coordinate vector [itex] \left[v_1 \right][/itex] with respect to B is really easy to compute, right? It's just [itex](1,0,0,0)^T[/itex].

Well we have an easy check then. Namely, [itex][L][v_1][/itex] should equal the coordinate vector of (2,1,0,0) with respect B.

Does it?

9. Jul 28, 2011 #8
    Yes it is a basis.

But I'm not sure I follow. In that case wouldn't [L] just be the columns of L(v1), L(v2), ... L(vn)??

I think my problem is that I keep thinking of this as matrix multiplication when it's not

10. Jul 28, 2011 #9
    Good!

Jackpot. However, we have to be a bit careful: The columns of [L] are the COORDINATE VECTORS of [itex]L(v_1),\ldots,L(v_n)[/itex] with respect to B. The vectors [itex]L(v_1),\ldots,L(v_n)[/itex] alone are just 4-tuples and it doesn't make much sense to say that they are columns of a matrix...

There are indeed quite subtle ideas going on here. We need to differentiate between the vector space [itex]V[/itex] of 4-tuples (on which L is a linear operator) and the vector space [itex]F^4[/itex] of column vectors with 4 entries.

(PhysicsForums doesn't have the LaTeX commands I'm used to for typesetting matrices, so I attached a quick explanation as a .pdf file. See it.)

What is really happening is that when a basis for V is fixed, it allows you to translate the problem from V to [itex]F^4[/itex] (via the basis and coordinate vectors), perform the computations (matrix multiplications) in [itex]F^4[/itex], then translate the answer back to V (via the basis and coordinate vectors).

So, the bulk of the computations in solving this problem (at least in part a) are calculating coordinate vectors...

Attached Files:

11. Jul 28, 2011 #10

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Another thing you could do is look for a combination where:
    [tex]
    (1,0,0,0)=a(1,1,1,1)+b(1,0,1,1)+c(1,1,0,1)+d(1,1,1,0)
    [/tex]
    Like wise for the other basis vectors and compute
    [tex]
    L(1,0,0,0)
    [/tex]
    This will give you an easier time of constructing the matrix representation of L.

12. Jul 29, 2011 #11
    This will indeed be the easiest way to solve this problem.

13. Jul 29, 2011 #12
    I really appreciate all the help with this one y'all.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook