Find mag. of net electric field at the center

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 40K views
mdawg467
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A point charge is placed at each corner of a square with side length a . The charges all have the same magnitude . Two of the charges are positive and two are negative, as shown in the following figure.

my figure: (image each charge represents a corner of the square)
(+q1)(+q2)
(-q3)(-q4)


What is the magnitude of the net electric field at the center of the square due to the four charges in terms of q and a ?
Express your answer in terms of the variables q, a, and appropriate constants.

Homework Equations


E=F/q
F=Kq2/r2


The Attempt at a Solution



I uploaded my work as an attachment..I'm getting the wrong answer. The correct answer is E=(4kq√2)/a2, whereas I kept getting E=(kq√2)/2a2

any ideas? thanks
 
Attachments
  • IMG_20120204_182301.jpg
    IMG_20120204_182301.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 7,293
Physics news on Phys.org
mdawg467 said:

Homework Statement


A point charge is placed at each corner of a square with side length a . The charges all have the same magnitude . Two of the charges are positive and two are negative, as shown in the following figure.

my figure: (image each charge represents a corner of the square)
(+q1)(+q2)
(-q3)(-q4)


What is the magnitude of the net electric field at the center of the square due to the four charges in terms of q and a ?
Express your answer in terms of the variables q, a, and appropriate constants.

Homework Equations


E=F/q
F=Kq2/r2


The Attempt at a Solution



I uploaded my work as an attachment..I'm getting the wrong answer. The correct answer is E=(4kq√2)/a2, whereas I kept getting E=(kq√2)/2a2

any ideas? thanks
You need to keep only the y -component of the electric field due to each charge.